Cargill’s Agricultural Supply Chain – North America (CASC NA) connects agricultural producers to food, feed and industrial customers through a seamless supply chain. We help our customers compete in the global market and efficiently deliver products from origins to destinations through our marketing, sourcing, originating, storing, trading, consulting and processing of grain, oilseeds and crop inputs products and solutions. CASC NA business reaches across Canada, United States & Mexico with an expansive asset footprint including over 200 grain elevators, export/import facilities, oilseed crush plants, biodiesel facilities, and farm service centers.
As the Canola Export Merchant, you will be responsible to manage the export programs off the West and East coasts of Canada, as well as oversee domestic trades to fulfill the export pipeline. You will be the primary point of contact for canola export customers and will have significant communication with other members of the CASCNA oilseeds team and other off-shore Cargill offices. You will be responsible for further developing Canada’s canola export program, considering freight, foreign exchange, and futures-basis risk. In addition, you will contribute to managing the canola slate risk for CASCNA Grain Canada in coordination with the Oilseeds Merchandising Lead, both on flat price and inter/intra market spread positions. We require an individual that can provide special attention to details to build a successful export pipeline starting from the farmer and ending with the customer, to liaise with both origination & logistics teams to ensure smooth and efficient execution to the export pipeline. Leveraging Cargill’s worldwide knowledge and customer access will be a key component of your role.
40% - Manage the export flow for Canola off the West/East coast of Canada to ensure smooth pipeline execution, maintaining and building customers relationship, continuous communication with both Cargill global offices and peers from the local industry to gather market insight for price discovery to establish both interior bids and FOB offers.
25% - Management of the slate PNL for Canola, full ownership of the Canadian supply and demand, collaborate with World Trade Group and other Cargill offices to build solid trading strategies and identify trends and opportunities to give us the edge over the competition.
15% - Report market updates/risk recaps with daily/weekly emails, update risk limit reports and make sure to stay within trading limits.
10% - Track customers credit limit, mark to market, A/R and follow up with customers and credit department to ensure full compliance.
10% - Provide monthly PNL estimates, participate in month end meetings and reconcile estimates with the accounting group.
- Post-secondary education in business or related education or equivalent work experience
- 5 years’ experience in commodity trading
- Demonstrated solid knowledge in both futures and cash markets
- Strong negotiation skills and results oriented
- Understanding of logistics pipelines and basic knowledge in Ocean freight
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills to identify business opportunities.
- Basic understanding of cash grain accounting and P&L knowledge
- Flexibility of work schedule is required due to time zone changes and market activity
- Advanced skill in Microsoft Excel and knowledge in other Microsoft office products such as Word and PowerPoint
- Travel is required domestic and internationally up to 10% by air and land
- Must be legally entitled to work for Cargill in Canada
- University degree in Agribusiness, Economics, business
- Knowledge in the local Grain and Oilseeds industry
- Independent thinker and quick to make decisions