Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s protein and salt business, where we provide wholesome, high-quality food products to a wide range of customers, from foodservice operators and grocery stores to manufacturers and exporters.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Senior Food Scientist, Alternative Protein will innovate alternative protein products. In this position, you will provide technical expertise to new and existing product development for meat analogs. You will be responsible for project support from concept through commercialization. This position identifies and implements technical solutions against business goals.
- Identify product growth and new product opportunities, modifying plans to meet opportunities.
- Stay current with literature and analytical advancements and works with independently on daily tasks.
- Provide technical leadership in product and process development and improvement, quality systems, and regulatory oversight.
- Implement innovation roadmap market plan(s) including market and innovation plans aligned to the business strategy.
- Work with cross-functional teams (marketing, insights, sales, ops, food safety quality and regulatory).
- Collaborate with research and commercial brand to develop short and long-term testing programs for experimental and commercial products and hybrids.
- Partner with sales, business management, and marketing partners to identify customer needs and translate these into new product development opportunities.
- Independently handle complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating only the most complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in meat science, food science, other related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of four years professional experience in research and development or related work experience
- Experience conducting work in a pilot plant or manufacturing environment
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in meat science, food science or related field
- Six or more years professional experience in ingredient functionality and alternative protein product development.
- Prior experience in meat processing, alternative meat processing or experience formulating with functional ingredients such as plant proteins or texturizers
- Extrusion experience or protein fermentation experience
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet