Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Senior Scientist, Computational Biophysics will conduct computational biophysical research to aid in the design of novel ingredients across multiple Cargill businesses. In this position you will perform computational biophysical simulations of proteins and ligands, develop computational infrastructure and build & deploy computational workflows for non-experts.
- Develop and handle research plans by performing receptor-ligand binding studies, pharmacophore identification & screening studies, and building QSAR models aligned with the business objectives.
- Conduct analytical samples and experiments following environmental health and safety guidelines in a high safety focused environment.
- Troubleshoot computational programming and pipeline development.
- Present ongoing work and findings to external audiences at conferences including the summaries and the nature and methodology of the research.
- Independently handle complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating only the most complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors and managers.
- Confirmed working knowledge of scientific research principles, concepts, practices and standards.
- Minimum of four years of related work experience
- Ph.D. in either Physical Chemistry, Biophysics, Medicinal Chemistry (focus on drug discovery)
- Experience modeling GPCR receptors
- Experience with structure databases (e.g. ZINC)
- Experience with drug discovery methods such as receptor binding, pharmacophore screening
- Experience with 3-d structure preparation
- Experience with cloud AWS-EC2 cloud computing
- Experience with the following software NAMD, Amber, Gromacs/Plumed, Schrodinger, VDM, BioBB, LAMMPS, python, bash scripting
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.