Assistant Vice President, Global Corporate Governance
- Manage global teams that work with Cargill stockholders, members of the Cargill, Incorporated Board of Directors, directors and officers of Cargill subsidiaries, and internal and external stakeholders. This includes managing every aspect of the talent management spectrum, including hiring, coaching, training, development, evaluation, and termination.
- Cultivate an expert-level understanding of Cargill’s business, including its history, culture, business model, global operations and strategy, and governance documents and policies, in order to provide informed, insightful guidance to stakeholders;
- Build and effectively utilize a network of internal and external professionals, industry associations, peers and subject matter experts to stay current on all issues affecting the Board;
- Demonstrate the ability to influence at all levels of the organization;
- Manage and lead policy and regulatory discipline across Global Corporate Governance;
- Bring innovation, drive, and perspective to the Law Leadership Team while assisting the General Counsel in further developing and growing this vital corporate function;
- Act as meeting secretary for Board of Directors meetings and manage executive team meeting operations and logistics;
- Apply strategic thinking to provide input and critical analysis of new and changing policies;
- Collaborate with other Law leaders to conduct business impact analyses for both new and updated regulations;
- Participate in regulatory, corporate governance, and organizational structure review forums and other working groups to build understanding of applicable regulations and influence internal policies;
- Develop and drive implementation plans for regulatory and policy changes, inclusive of risk review and controls assessment;
- Analyze and opine regarding the Delaware General Corporation Law and the law of other jurisdictions as they relate to the Company’s governance documents and practices;
- Analyze and opine regarding stockholder documents to determine Company rights and obligations and/or implications to the Company and stockholders of a proposed course of action;
- Ensure continuous education of Directors by keeping them apprised of developments in relevant law, regulation and best governance practices, including benchmark information from well-regarded peer companies; and
- Manage issues for non-management Board members, including assisting in the orientation of new Board members.
- Oversee Executive Team meeting operations and logistics; continue improving or establishing efficient, common processes;
- Collaboratively develop and implement strategies to support Executive Team deliverables, objectives and goals; and
- Lead change management processes, and implement new processes, that improves the quality of the meetings to ensure focused, collaborative, sustainable outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor from recognized and accredited universities.
- Ten-plus (10+) years of corporate legal practice and/or corporate secretary experience, preferably with Fortune-ranked companies.
- A minimum of five (5) years of management experience.
- Admission in good standing to the state bar in any U.S. jurisdiction and licensed to practice in Minnesota (or admitted to the Minnesota Bar within a reasonable time following the commencement of the position).
- Knowledge of accounting procedures and financial terminology as relates to legal entity structures, stock ownership/ stockholders, board resolutions and activities, and various internal and external reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of corporate law and legal concepts related to corporate governance and the corporate governance function.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
- High level of professionalism and diplomacy, including mature demeanor and judgment necessary to interact with members of the Board of Directors, Cargill senior officers and Cargill shareholders.
- Strong drafting skills to produce Board of Director meeting minutes and Board and Executive Committee resolutions.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and execution skills and demonstrated ability to drive for issue resolution.
- Formative legal training in a top-tier law firm.
- Prior tenure in a Fortune-ranked company’s in-house legal department.
- Participation in corporate governance and/or corporate secretary professional trade associations
- Experience with Board portal and stock administration software.
- Demonstrated championship of D&I initiatives and mentoring of up and coming talent.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.