Commercial Management Trainee in Trading
Launch your career engaging in meaningful work!
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive – a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. Our purpose is to nourish the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, we connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with food. We combine our experience with new technologies and insights to serve as a trusted partner for food, agriculture, financial and industrial customers in more than 125 countries. We offer a diverse, inclusive and inspiring working environment where you will grow personally and professionally.
Job location: Mouscron, Belgium
Business Group: Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate (CCC) Europe
What is the Commercial Management Trainee Program about?
We aim to develop top diverse talent towards future expert and managerial roles for our trading and merchandising function at Cargill. The program offers access to accelerate development on the job and through other channels during a 24-month program which may include depending on your area of expertise:
- Understanding the agricultural commodities trading industry and the markets for commodity merchandising.
- Understanding the local supply and demand factors that impact markets.
- Understanding drivers of Profit and Loss and take commercial decisions to generate revenue.
- Developing knowledge on Cargill's trading and hedging strategies, tactics and practices, including the use of futures, risk management derivatives and structured products.
- Initiating and negotiating on terms of commodity purchase, sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing and payment.
- Coordinating transportation and logistics to execute commodity contracts and interacting with other functions across the business.
- Ensuring detailed and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts.
- Developing collaborative relationships with external customers and suppliers in a customer facing role.
- Learning on the job from experts, developing technical and soft skills and receiving mentoring from your manager and peers.
- Participating in structured learning (digital and instructor led) to develop your technical, professional and leadership skills with peers across Europe, Middle East and Africa, learning from each other during the different sessions of the Cargill European Graduate program.
- Building a peer network across Cargill.
You will join the Trading team of 6 people where each colleague is in charge of a certain commodity class of chocolate ingredients (cocoa, sugar, dairy, vegetable oils). In the first year of your traineeship you will work closely with the senior trader on the vegetable oil portfolio. In the second year you will have a chance to go deeper into the specifics of any of the other commodities depending on team needs.
What you will bring to Cargill (REQUIRED)
- Demonstrated interest and passion for trading.
- A completed Master degree in Trade, Economics, Finance, Business / Business Engineering, Agricultural Engineering or Mathematics.
- Up to 2 years of work experience and / or internship in a related field.
- Proficient English. French or Dutch would be considered an advantage.
What you will bring to Cargill (PREFERRED)
- Risk appetite; composure, resilience, risk analysis and right sizing.
- Numerical and analytical capabilities; ability to proactively identify and resolve problems.
- Confirmed natural leadership and interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Teamwork; ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-functional teams.
- Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently. Willingness to take responsibility and initiative. Demonstrated experience in prioritizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Fast learner and oriented to self-development: curiosity to learn and create new way of building and/or improving systems and processes.
- Flexibility and managing ambiguity; able to cope with fast changes within a growing company and see opportunities in change.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
We will provide a fast-paced stimulating international environment, which will challenge and stretch you. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest private companies in the world!
Our usual recruitment process runs as follows: candidates meeting the criteria will be invited to complete a recorded video interview (6-7 questions). After that, the shortlisted candidates will do a practical task – business case study - followed by a case study discussion with the trading team. The final stage is a conversation with the hiring manager and a colleague of him/her. An additional 45-mins online personality test (assessment) might be introduced if necessary.
What’s different within Cargill is our inclusion and global gender parity aspiration. You can find a few of the stories of diverse talent that make up the trading, merchandising and global trading analytics teams at Cargill. Access their stories here: https://www.cargill.com/story/the-future-of-trading-is-more-female
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.