The Transportation Procurement Specialist will support and be responsible for freight sourcing, negotiation, analytics, and related projects within the Transportation and Logistics market for a variety of modes within Cargill Transportation and Logistics (CTL). This position will support freight sourcing activities across multiple business units at Cargill and will interact directly with many internal and external stakeholders. A natural curiosity drive for continuous improvement, and strong collaboration and problem-solving skills are required.
This position will also provide stakeholders in business units with accurate and market-based freight pricing and ensure that accurate freight rates are loaded in appropriate rating systems. Additionally, they will build a firm understanding of the transportation markets within the position's scope of responsibility and use this understanding to communicate market insights, context, and knowledge to stakeholders within Cargill. Likewise, the Transportation Procurement Specialist will work to improve organizational understanding of customer and plant specific shipping requirements across several large business units within Cargill and assist in effectively managing to these requirements and communicating them to our suppliers.
55% Sourcing Support:
• Support Cargill Transportation and Logistics' carrier management strategy through negotiations, relationship management, and supplier selection
• Monitor carrier performance and take corrective action to reverse negative trends and maintain required service levels
• Negotiate rates with carriers and run one-off bid events in e-sourcing tool.
• Support large-scale sourcing events within e-sourcing tool as a key contributor
• Develop and run optimization scenarios within e-sourcing tool
• Apply industry knowledge and expertise in analysis of carrier responses to RFPs
• Support business units by providing freight economics as an input to their pricing to Cargill's customers
15% Spend Management:
• Conduct analysis of Cargill's truckload freight spend
• Review and monitor supplier's performance
• Provide insight to business units by applying broad transportation industry knowledge and market analysis
• Monitors truckload volumes and spend to ensure contractual agreements with carriers are being met
• Responsible for freight payables exceptions and reconciliation
20% Client Business Unit Interaction:
• Develop deep knowledge of client BU's delivery requirements and plant operational requirements and leverage this knowledge to improve outcomes in sourcing events and carrier management.
• Resolve local carrier and operational issues with internal and external stakeholders
• Maintain strong relationships with business units and carrier partners in order to streamline freight sourcing and carrier utilization
10% Misc: Perform miscellaneous projects and job-related duties as assigned and/or required.
Minimum Required Qualifications
• BA/BS preferably in business, transportation, supply chain or equivalent business experience
• Knowledge of the fundamentals in transportation, logistics, operations or supply chain management.
• 2 years of experience in the areas of transportation, logistics, operations, SCM, preferably in the truck mode
• 2 years of experience in the area of Packaged truck transportation/logistics
• Demonstrated client/customer focus role and strong relationship builder
• Demonstrated ability to excel in ambiguous situations
• Proficient in Microsoft Office with expertise in Microsoft Excel
• Financial acumen, strong analytical and strategic skills; experience with scorecards/metrics and database knowledge/skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently; ability to understand and prioritize business-strategic issues and impact
• Self-starter – highly motivated with demonstrated initiative
• Highly collaborative - ability to excel in a team environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
• Ability to travel up to 5%
• BA/BS in transportation, supply chain or equivalent business experience
• Proven experience on how to get things done within a matrix organization Demonstrated project management skills
• Financial modeling skills
• Functional knowledge of technology and ERP systems, including Transportation Management System (TMS).
• Experience implementing process, systems, and organizational changes.
• Ability to collaborate, influence and connect across BUs, Regions, Functions and Modes
• Eagerness to solve problems and provide superior value to the customer
• Willingness to act/serve on behalf of Cargill (vs. individual group/BU interests)
• Comfort with delivering results and acting amidst ambiguity and change; learns from successes and failures; relentless determination
• Business acumen
• Ability to build trusting, respectful working relationships as part of a global team; good listener and able to deal with conflict constructively; problem solve amongst peers with the market as the “true north”
• Strong systems thinking to see connections and interdependencies between modes, regions, businesses, and operations
• Take responsibility and ownership for ongoing development (self/others) to build sustainable and differentiating job family capabilities
• Deeply understand and commit to the CTL vision and strategy
¨At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill's long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affil
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.