Senior Patent Attorney
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
JOB PURPOSE AND IMPACT
The Senior Patent Attorney will independently handle the intellectual property affairs for our company.
- Evaluate invention submissions, prepare and prosecute complex patent applications globally and handle complex global patent portfolios.
- Coordinate strategic patent activities, including leading intellectual property review team meetings. Assist with critical patent due diligence, developing commercially-driven patent strategies, and provide intellectual property and commercial counseling to business stakeholders.
- Provide legal advice on the patentability of inventions and high risk patent freedom to operate.
- Support intellectual property litigation and dispute resolutions, including driving key strategy decisions.
- Draft and negotiate complex intellectual property related agreements and engage with strategic mergers and acquisition activities.
- Develop, coordinate and provide training for key employees on intellectual property matters.
- You will provide expert consultative guidance for and initiate strategic long-range goals and objectives. You may provide direction to lower-level team members and be a key contributor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mathematics, software development or significant experience in the IT and digital innovation space.
- Juris doctor and licensed to practice law in current jurisdiction, ability and willingness to be licensed in Minnesota and registration to practice in front of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Extensive agreement or opinion experience.
- Excellent communication, advocacy and drafting skills.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict and apply judgment in counseling.
- Ability and desire to work with diverse teams in meeting corporate goals and missions.
- Confirmed ability to have a broad perspective and approach work with curiosity.
- Ability to problem solve using a creative, resilient and flexible style and approach.
- Confirmed ability to assess and handle risk.
- Minimum of eight years of related work experience.
- Excellent academic track record.
- Minimum of six years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
- Develop and deliver multimode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Use compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES TO BE GAINED
Experience independently handling complex intellectual property affairs in a global, matrixed company.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.