Senior Paralegal, M&A
This position is for elite and/or high potential paralegals who have a demonstrated track record of working collaboratively with senior level stakeholders and who thrive in demanding, ambiguous and complex situations. This position is a recognized expert resource in the area of global mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, equity investments and joint ventures (“MADJV”) across the legal function and corporation that is accountable to manage complex legal work such as providing leading MADJV due diligence teams and providing due diligence support; reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements and documents; managing all aspects of closings and performing other MADJV duties as assigned. Successful applicants will have excellent judgment, including the ability to recognize the business implications of actions, develop solutions and counsel clients toward those solutions. The position requires minimal supervision and the ability to consistently accomplish more than assigned. MADJV requires the proven ability to prioritize and juggle legal work and department projects while remaining flexible and agile in responding to exigencies. This position is a leader in cooperation and cohesiveness among work teams, including advanced mentoring and ongoing training across workgroups.
- 35% Due Diligence: Lead/coordinate transactional legal due diligence, including (i) conducting lien searches and reviewing and evaluating lien search results, (ii) performing certain diligence activities (e.g., reviewing, identifying and summarizing legal risks within corporate documents and contracts), (iii) coordinating internal legal due diligence activities (e.g., collecting and reviewing documentation to draft and revise disclosure schedules), (iv) drafting due diligence reports, (v) managing due diligence teams; and (vi) coordinating with Corporate Strategy and Development group on legal due diligence and broader company due diligence matters.
- 30% Documentation: Support global drafting/review of Cargill confidentiality agreements in M&A transactions, including primary responsibility for drafting, reviewing, revising and negotiating such agreements. Draft transaction documents and agreements, including ancillary transaction documents, closing certificates, funds flow memoranda and corporate resolutions. Lead the process of gathering and integrating stakeholder input on deal documentation. Regularly participate in negotiation process.
- 15% Closing Coordination: Prepare and track closing checklists, timelines and transactional documentation in order to coordinate, direct and manage the closing process with various internal and external parties. Lead the closing process, including post-closing, to track and disseminate key obligations and information.
- 10% Communication: Communicate with clients, functional transaction team members, and opposing parties (and their counsel) regarding various aspects of MADJV transactions, including direct support of transaction processes and execution.
- 10% Knowledge Management: Contribute to and assist with global knowledge management of (i) Cargill MADJV processes, practices and resources, including developing and maintaining processes, templates, and training and communication materials, and (ii) business and industry information, including market practices, past transactional decisions and issues or risks unique to certain businesses and/or industries. Collaborate with M&A Global Practice Group and Law team members to support and leverage knowledge management practices.
- 5+ years of corporate and/or transactional paralegal experience with emphasis on transactional experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Handle confidential information sensitively and discreetly.
- Task-oriented with an excellent sense of prioritization; highly organized with the ability to work independently, to manage multiple projects, and to work well under pressure.
- Proficiency with computer systems and software, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Paralegal certificate or comparable legal education from an accredited institution.
- Large law firm or corporate experience with mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and equity investments.
- Experience in other areas of law, such as labor and employment, antitrust/competition, intellectual property, real estate and compliance.
- Cross-border transaction experience.
- Foreign language fluency.
- Strong analytical and research skills; detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-aware, self-confident, assertive and capable of handling complicated tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work efficiently, handle conflicting time demands and focus on timely task completion with limited direction or oversight.
- Flexible team player; comfortable leading, working and collaborating with individuals at all levels within, and outside of, the organization.
- History of, and commitment to, excellence, accountability, inclusion and continuous growth and improvement.
- Experience building strong business partnerships and trusted relationships with both internal and external parties.
- High level of curiosity, self-motivation, initiative and organization, with the ability to be resilient and adaptable to risk, ambiguous situations, and changing directions, and to seek assistance and advice from others when needed.
- Comfortable asking questions in ambiguous situations.
- Superior project management skills, including process and conflict management and problem solving.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.