Global Communications Intern 2021
Internships at Cargill:
Imagine an internship where you get the chance to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a real-life environment and then multiply that tenfold. From day one, you will be an integral part of the team. Internships are 12 weeks long, and we pride ourselves on having one of the most diverse internship programs in the industry. During the internship, you will tackle real challenges, cultivate your curiosity, have client exposure, enjoy both personal and team accomplishments and have your initiative acknowledged along the way. You will collaborate and build relationships with colleagues and clients who represent diverse work, culture and resolution styles. We look for people who want to grow, support, think and produce.
Global Communications Internship:
This internship position is within Cargill’s corporate editorial team, which is part of Cargill Global Communications. The role has responsibility for developing communications strategies and tactics, including:
- Purposeful, targeted, accessible content that helps build trust and engagement with key audiences
- Tools to connect and empower communicators across Cargill to strengthen the company’s reputation
- Improvement of communications systems and channels to accelerate Cargill’s business objectives
The editorial intern will be involved both in the day-to-day work of the editorial team – such as writing stories for corporate channels – as well as project work connected to building and delivering our editorial strategy. Content on our corporate channels, such as the intranet, weekly newsletter and Cargill.com, is developed in partnership with communications colleagues across the company. The editorial intern can therefore expect to collaborate with partners from many of Cargill’s businesses, from animal nutrition to beauty; functions, such as research and development and human resources; and corporate teams, such as sustainability. Our internal channels alone serve 155,000 employees in 70 countries.
Responsibilities during your internship can include:
- 40% storytelling (e.g. researching, interviewing and writing)
- 40% special projects (e.g. audience analysis, creating resources for communicators)
- 10% communications planning and relationship building
- 10% other duties as assigned
Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Gain immediate hands-on work experience in one of the world's largest privately held companies.
- Participate in orientation, mentoring relationships and other opportunities targeted toward development.
- Network with employees at a variety of levels and in a variety of functions within the organization.
- Receive regular feedback on job performance.
- The environment is team-oriented, fast-paced and hands-on.
- Interns are given the opportunity to apply their skills and gain hands-on experience working on various projects from communications strategy to writing for our most visible corporate communications channels.
- Interns also will have an opportunity to connect with Cargill employees globally and other Cargill interns in the Twin Cities.
- Cargill offers both housing assistance and relocation reimbursement to interns who qualify (based on mileage).
- Internships are paid and are 12 weeks in length during the summer term.
- Day-to-day transportation to and from work is the responsibility of the intern.
- Summer interns attend Intern Forum, an event held at Cargill headquarters in Minneapolis, MN, designed to give exposure to leadership and cross-functional interns from across the U.S.
- As employees, interns receive access to Cargill volunteer and community outreach opportunities and paid time off to participate in volunteer activities.
We promote a culture that celebrates differences. This is a reflection of the clients we serve and generates intellectually diverse employees. Cargill’s Business Resource Groups (BRGs) help us embrace our diversity, make our culture more inclusive and leverage our employees’ unique talents and perspectives to benefit our organization and employees.
Our U.S. Business Resource Groups include:
- Asian Alliance Network
- Cargill Young Professionals Network
- Cargill Ability Network (iCAN)
- Cargill Ebony Council
- Group Responsible for Orienting and Welcoming (GROW)
- Hispanic-Latino Council
- Cargill Pride Network
- Veterans & Military Support Network
- Cargill Women’s Network
- Wayzata, Minnesota
- Office setting
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in journalism, communications, English, or a related degree, and graduating between December 2021 and August 2022.
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- All candidates must be geographically flexible and willing to relocate to Minneapolis, Minnesota, for the internship
- Must be able to complete a 12-week internship in summer 2021 (May/June-August)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and culture
- Must possess a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in completing work with limited guidance
- Interest in enhancing proven writing and editing skills
- Basic understanding and curiosity about communications principles, tools and vehicles
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with AP style
- Fluency in English
- Overall GPA 3.0 preferred
- Curiosity and desire to learn
- Ability to work effectively with leaders and across cultures and time zones
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Strong organizational and project management skills, strong ability to multitask
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 155 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.