QA Technician I
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive — a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field.
At Cargill we have a Culture of Safety, our goal is to return everyone safely back to their loved ones every day.
To assist all areas of manufacture, production and customer service to ensure the accuracy and quality of the feed service internally (as well as externally). The QA Technician position is dedicated to development, implementation, integration, and support of company quality assurance system initiatives, including continuous improvement and quality control activities..
This role provides an opportunity to apply knowledge and obtain practical development of skills to better understand analytical systems, laboratory operations and management, quality assurance concepts: inspection, testing, SOP development, QC checks, etc. The role provides an insight into real industrial applications while building internal and external relationships. It also leads to professional and personal development over time as continuous improvement is applied.
- Work in a feed mill and in the laboratory to perform QC activities.
- Feed quality and feed safety monitoring: in-process and at finished product states, including packaging and inventory.
- Conduct daily physical inspection and composition analyses to in-process and finished product.
- Release or reject complete feed products, based on inspection and analysis results. Any rejections will be confirmed with manager.
- Review extruder operator's report, check list, batching reports, and feed inspection reports to summarize daily quality reports and ensure accurate traceability.
- Evaluate and monitor product nutritional compliance based on inspection and analysis results to identify trends or changes.
- Data entry and creation of data summaries and reports related to raw materials and finished feed performance.
- Evaluate incoming raw materials compliance when laboratory analysis are required to support production’s inspection activities.
- Safe operation and maintenance of lab instruments.
- Maintenance of QA storage area and sample handling.
- Support company safety and environmental policies.
- Other QA/QC related functions, as assigned.
- Adhere to internal SOPs, HACCP and GMPs regulations, and ISO requirements.
- Conduct QA lab safety audits.
- Develop, implement, and promote company QA policies.
- Provide support during internal Quality Management System (QMS) audits, third party audits, mock recalls and audit preparation of policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with the investigation of quality complaints as required.
- NIR verification analysis of primary and secondary (after production personnel’s analysis)) samples of incoming commodities and finish feeds.
- Assist in monitoring compliance with governmental regulations, with regard to feed production.
- Collaborate with inspections of commodity storage facilities, factory, warehouse, QA Lab and grounds.
- Participate in and support R&D analyses, including NIR (Near-Infrared) instrument maintenance.
- Perform routine proximate analysis (such as Soxtec Fat, Dumas protein determination, moisture analysis, sieve analysis, %FFA and P.V. analysis of oils etc.) of all in-coming materials and feed samples taken for wet lab, update NIR Calibrations, and report performance and trends.
- Perform bulk densities on commodities and feeds and report performance and trends.
- Work in other QA and Continuous Improvement (CI) related functions as assigned
- Able to work in fast paced environment in lab and production plant.
- Able to lift at least 25 kg.
- May travel for training, if required.
- May go to customer site, if required
- B.Sc. in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Agriculture or Aquaculture. Also applicable: applied chemical technology Diploma, Food Science.
- Proficient computer literacy: MS office required
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with ability for quick learning.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- A self-starter and critical thinker
- Bachelors or Diploma in Biological or Chemical Sciences with Food, experience in feed, food and/or Aquaculture industry.
- Knowledge of HACCP, WHMIS, ISO Systems, Quality Management Systems, and Workplace Inspections would be advantageous, but not initially required.
- Should be available to work on weekends and on different shifts (if occasionally required).
This Full Time position is located in Surrey, BC; however please expect receiving calls from a 204 area code in case you are considered.
Relocation assistance is not provided.
Cargill is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing accommodation to our job applicants with disabilities.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.