Senior Data Analyst
Position Purpose & Summary:
The Metals BI team crafts the Data strategy and vision for advancing the Business Unit’s BI maturity. We develop and build core capabilities within the Business Unit (BU), and work with different function teams to enable and empower their analysts in using data effectively to produce information and insights. Core capabilities include data engineering, data analytics and data governance.
The shortlisted candidate will play an important role in understanding the BI / data needs of the function teams, identify the gaps, recommend and prioritise the work intakes, and work with different teams on the end-to-end data supply chain process to identify, acquire, store, transform, integrate, and deliver the data appropriately. You will also serve as the data expert and gatekeeper of the BI platform / data warehouse to ensure quality data is centrally stored, managed and accessible to the right parties.
45% - Deliver BI projects and build core capabilities to support the BU’s Data strategy and vision:
- Contribute in the development and evolution of the Data Strategy with the Business Intelligence Manager
- Work with function team leads to understand business needs and identify the business goals/problems that can be solved with data
- Analyse the raw datasets (source data) that needs to be collected, stored and managed in the data warehouse
- Work with function teams to devise or re-engineer business processes to acquire and ingest the datasets into our BI platform. The datasets could take on any form (internal / external / structured / unstructured / semi-structured).
- Collaborate and work with Global IT teams to ingest internal data sources into the BI platform
- Collaborate and work with vendors to design and implement automated data pipelines to ingest and integrate different data sources and deliver the appropriate data products to end users. Data products can be in the form of pre-canned dashboards, or organized datasets in the data warehouse for power users to self-service.
- Manage and ensure delivery of the BI projects
- Serve as the data expert/ gatekeeper of the BI platform to answer ad-hoc queries on datasets and manage data source intakes
- Provide fresh perspectives and challenge status quo if the situation fits
30% - Continuous improvements:
- Actively work with users to seek out continuous improvements to BI projects implemented on the BI platform
- Address root cause of data quality issues by ensuring it is fixed at source
- Iterate and improve data architecture design for live BI projects to encourage users to self-serve
- Analyse new enhancement requests and assess/validate the data source / business logic requirements with users
- Liaise with users to manage and understand upstream data source changes
- Work with vendors and offshore Data Admin team to implement the changes and perform UAT validation
25% - Coaching and training:
- Coach power users on accessing and using data effectively for analysis on their own via various data touchpoints available (e.g. HUE, Tableau, Power BI, Cloudera DataScience Workbench, R, Python)
- Assess appropriate new tools and technologies introduced by global teams that can be leveraged upon to promote data literacy and evolve BI maturity levels within the BU.
- Advocate data cataloguing using Alation
- Co-own / co-document business meta-data with users to encourage visibility and reusability of data centralized in the BI platform.
- Work with vendors to train Data Admin team on new data source intakes and business logic changes within the BI platform to ensure continuity in maintaining the data pipelines and architecture built when it goes live.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering / Science
- 8 to 10 years’ experience in managing data or data warehousing systems
- Experience in data modelling
- Experience in big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop)
- Strong understanding of relational and distributed data systems
- Experience in using BI / data visualization tools like Tableau or Power BI to develop and deploy dashboards
- Ability to synthesize information and put together an action plan
- Inquisitive and willing to challenge status quo
- Logical, detail oriented, sensitive to data
- Strong coaching ability
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong sense of ownership and initiative; able to manage day-to-day operations independently
- Team player
- Active and fast learner: Willingness and ability to assimilate new domain knowledge / new tools
- Expert in SQL, Excel, Access, VBA
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in either Commodities / Supply Chain or Financial Services Industry
- Experience in IT projects
- Experience in Data Engineering or working on Data Science
- Experience in ETL automation and tools
- Experience in building and developing hybrid business intelligence operational model for organizations
- Experience in Data Cataloguing tools
- R and Python programming skills
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.