Flats team merchandising Lead
Position Purpose & Summary
Cargill Metals Supply Chain (CMSC) works with customers in the global trading, distribution and processing of raw materials and steel products. These products include: iron ore, billets, hot rolled, cold rolled, coated products, wire-rods, bars and sections. From its offices worldwide, it serves miners, mills, processors and end users.
The steel industry is going through a period of disruptive change. Ever increasing complexity, the commodity super cycle, extreme volatility in both raw material and steel prices are just some of the challenges reshaping the industry and creating opportunities for CMSC to play a major role in the industry’s evolution.
CMSC strategy is focused on the needs and interests of our strategic customers in China. We have a strong conviction that there is a lot of unmonetized value within the China Steel Industry and we believe that we can help our customers to unlock this value by partnering with us to create tailored solutions to help them succeed.
As such, CMSC is strived to drive a strategy that combines its prop trading engine and customer solution selling engine. This role is a key role in combining and developing the liquidity needs for both parts of the strategy. Its responsibilities include managing the day to day physical execution to ensure of low operation risk, developing merchandising strategy that brings liquidity that is needed by the trading strategies, managing the insights, and originating customer solutions and customer opportunities.
50% Accountable for Domestic China Steel sales and merchandising
- Deliver the P&L target of USD 25-30 million by collaborating within China Steel Team
- Lead Merchandising team to execute trading game plans, including but not limited to:
- Continuous development of physical engine to improve buy-side and sell-side liquidity in steel, both in spot and forward tenors, across China
- Lead the development and marketing of basic risk management solutions in the steel market i.e Forward fixed price, forward fixed basis, other structured solutions to meet customers’ needs
- Drive the development of strategic customers (Steel mill, end users, traders etc), including the selection of customers, onboarding of customers and maintaining of key customer relationships
- Development of new product/regional priorities within the steel complex to fit overall steel strategy
- Drive overall steel flats origination strategy, via deliberate selection, management and negotiation of annual long term steel agreement across steel mills
- Collaborate across teams with Metals BU to identify cross product, cross region merchandising opportunities
- Timely and responsive collaboration with cross-functional teams within the business, including supply chain, legal, credit, tax and finance team to manage end to end physical HRC execution cost effectively, remain competitive in the market, as well as effective management of credit, tax and legal exposures.
25% Insight sharing
- Creating the culture and leading the team in sharing physical trading insights ensuring that the overall steel is able to form the right direction for trading positions
- Maintain a system to regularly gather insights through customer connectivity with upstream (i.e. steel mills) and downstream steel industry players
- Active interaction with the physical steel team members to refine and improve market insights collections and customer business requirements
- Provide accurate feedback and inputs to the Metals Trading Engine
15% Develop and execute merchandising strategy
- By understanding the market trend, develop profitable merchandising strategy that enables BU’s “paid to play” concept
- Drive merchandising strategy to monetize physical book
- Challenge the status quo by creatively coming up with new ideas that contribute to BU’s strategy
- Coordinate with BU’s customer facing resources and execute on the long term merchandising strategy
10% Business Planning & People Management
- Participates in selection of direct reports and provide input on plans for future workforce needs.
- Manages resources and creates plans for workforce needs for department.
- Provides oversight for overall department’s people management activities including coaching, talent development and engagement.
- Any other business projects assigned by the BU
Education, Experience, Skills
•5 years or more work experience.
•At least 3 years’ in Merchandising/Trading capacity
•Excellent interpersonal relationship skills for internal and external networks
•Good knowledge of market intelligence on steel mills, steel customers, and market dynamics e.g. risk management
•Conversant in both Mandarin and English languages
Other relevant information to the position
Travel domestically up to 30% is required.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.