Category Manager – EPCM & Construction Services
JOB PURPOSE AND IMPACT
The Global Category Management Lead will develop and successfully execute our category sourcing strategy globally and regionally using best practices to align with key partners. In this role, you will maximize profitability for a category of products by aligning pricing, selection and promotions with the supplier's profit margin.
40% Global and Regional Category Strategy Development:
40% Category Strategy Implementation:
- Develop and maintain deep category expertise, cultivate strong partnerships with industry partners and internal stakeholders
- Monitors overall category strategies development and implementation, leads changes to the strategy in line with the changing business environment
- Continuously scans the category management and strategic sourcing environment, to keep abreast of global approaches and trends.
- Synthesizes the above knowledge to develop ideas for category strategy improvement opportunities within the organization.
- Engages with business stakeholders to clarify and prioritize the value that is required from the category.
- Determines the business wide category based opportunities that exist to reduce the TCO of products, equipment and services by clarifying the organisation’s business plans that will impact or be impacted by suppliers.
- Tracks the business environment on an ongoing basis and assimilates changes in customer needs in order to identify special category related opportunities that might arise.
- Ensures that the assessment of business requirements, spend and supply market analysis components of category strategies are correct
- Provides support for category managers by intervening when necessary to obtain sponsorship and senior business management sign-off and buy-in for key category strategies. This includes budget provision for the development of category strategies and associated implementation project plans
- Establish category targets and provide leadership to global and regional teams to track progress against established targets
- Uses benchmarking opportunities to shape thinking on improvement possibilities for the future
- Work with the global and regional team to incorporate best practices, e.g., common sourcing processes, navigating government regulations, stakeholder engagement, contracting, etc.
- Direct responsibility/accountability for managing key regional supplier relationships.
- Resolve implementation issues as it relates to getting key stakeholders onboard
- Leads major negotiations/workshops with suppliers Ensure accurate reporting of key metrics and manage communication with all key stakeholders
- learly articulates the category management vision and objectives, both internally and externally.
- Engagement and leadership with category buyers to execute category strategy and deployment
- Ensure intimate understanding of business needs and alignment of key stakeholders around the category strategy. Engage with senior stakeholders (e.g., Business, Group, Functional leaders)
- Ensures that category teams put in place sound planning processes, to deliver coherent action plans and targets for category projects.
- Ensures clear definition of benefits from category projects.
- Ensures performance-tracking measures are relevant and effective.
- Coordinates and controls the budgeting process within the relevant category portfolio.
- Within the relevant category portfolio, monitors progress against:
o Delivery of benefits targets
o Specific category measures
o Action plans for strategic approaches
20% Stakeholder Management
- Provides guidance to category managers on the establishment of TCO models, “should-cost” models and other category management tools.
- Ensures the effective integration between category management and other components of the supply chain such as buying, materials management, and production.
- Establishes and chairs category standards committees/councils to ensure category requirements are understood and support is gained across the stakeholder base.
- Standardize Procedures - Design, develop and modify forms, procedures, techniques, databases and processes for reviewing and drafting standard contracts and tracking matters and trends.
- Problem Solving - Analyze and handle problems that involve independent decisions.
- Fully understands stakeholder landscape, creates stakeholder plan, understands the role they play and works to maintain relationships in partnership with other members of CSSP, including Business Engagement Leaders.
- Follows established reporting and communication structures to ensure all stakeholders are adequately informed. Proactive communication around success stories and lessons learned.
- Drives an awareness of supplier expectations and requirements within the organization to foster win-win relationships.
- Drives reporting requirements to effectively manage strategic category information
PRIOR BENEFICIAL EXPERIENCES
- Six-year college degree in business, procurement, supply chain, engineering or related degree program
- 10+ years relevant experience in supply chain and/or strategic sourcing
- Demonstrated knowledge of the market, suppliers and cost drivers and incorporating into strategies that drives results
- Strong experience leading global and regional projects, aligning statekholders and driving category initiatives
- Demonstrated ability of strategic thinking – ability to move from broad to specific content
- Strong financial, mathematical, modeling and analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate analytical findings/recommendations/models, both verbally and in written form to senior management in a professional, concise, and direct manner.
- Ability to research and identify problems, develop proposals, conduct analysis independently and in collaborative with others.
- Ability to understand core business goals and establish processes or programs to help the function move the needle forward.
- Ability to manage numerous competing priorities and deliver exceptional results.
- Proven track record of strong leadership skills with the ability to engage & influence key stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate initiatives in a virtual team environment
- Persuasive change agent capable of challenging status quo
- Proven track record of building external partnerships to drive innovation in area of responsibility
- Project management experience
- Track record of success in supplier consolidation and driving spend to preferred suppliers
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the implementation of supplier management programs with key suppliers including metrics, performance goals and improvement initiatives
- Experience working in a multinational complex organization
- Demonstrated development and deployment of global category management programs
- Experience in leading or managing others as this role will have indirect reporting lines in China
- Exposure and experience in driving construction strategies for both large, medium, and small projects along with maintenance services
- Experience in driving global construction materials, including steel and modular structures
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.