Commercial Trainee - Biofuels
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s agricultural supply chain business, where we seamlessly connect farming customers with food, feed and industry.
Job location(s): Schiphol, Netherlands
Currently we are looking for a Commercial Trainee for our Cargill Agricultural Supply Chain (CASC) EMEA Group to join our team in a start position at Schiphol, the Netherlands.
In CASC EMEA we operate on an integrated global basis to source, process, transport and distribute grain and oilseeds around the world. The main bulk commodities we handle are wheat, corn, oilseeds, vegetable oils, meals, biodiesel and glycerin.
The position provides an extensive 24 months training mainly in Merchandising, but also Risk Management, Trading Operations and Market Research to develop excellent merchandising professionals in diverse agricultural products such as vegetable oils, biodiesel and glycerin.
During the European Graduate Program, you will acquire deep understanding of supply chain activities that support our businesses.
You will undergo a specific training program covering additional hands-on experience that will provide the foundation for a potential management position.
In the European Graduate Program, you could expect some or all of the following experiences within the first two years with Cargill:
- Onboarding into commercial trading position;
- On-going formal soft skill development and technical training;
- Mentoring provided by a Cargill manager;
- Networking with International colleagues;
You will join the team in our Amsterdam (Schiphol) office learning the fundamentals of biofuels. The biodiesel market is one of the fastest growing commodities at the crossroad between agriculture and energy markets. The biofuels market is very interesting as it is at the forefront of the decarbonization of transport and the pricing embeds a carbon intensity element. There is also a steady sustainability focus in the context of the Renewable Energy Directive (RED).
Biodiesel is a core business of Cargill and one of the fastest growing product lines.
The Amsterdam biodiesel team is made of 2 experienced traders with a desk manager. The biodiesel team is responsible for buying feedstocks into our 2 biodiesel refineries and selling the biodiesel to end consumers. Cargill has a prominent position in the EU market.
During the 24-moths period you will do the following things:
- Learn the economics of a commodity market (supply and demand economics, costs curve, carbon emission curve)
- Learn the supply economics of the biodiesel market
- Manage the reporting of our market risk exposure and P&L
- Develop biodiesel sales in the German market – front office job
We are looking for talents eager to learn, grow and contribute to our exciting business.
On successful completion of the program you will embark on an exciting commercial career in the Merchandising Job Family with one of the CASC EMEA product lines in the dedicated country.
- Learn the basics of the agricultural commodities industry: worldwide trade flows between origins and destinations, historical evolution of inventories, our role in the business, transportation, quality specifics for each product.
- Learn what are the influencers of supply & demand: market balances, industry economics, technological change, external political and global environment
- Know the local market for Commodity Merchandising: market value, partners, customer behaviors, business environment, related legislation (sustainability, fiscal policy)
- Understand regulatory framework at EU level, main demand markets and customer requirements and the implications on our products.
- Understand the P&L elements and how to best manage them
- Initiate, negotiate and agree on terms of commodity purchase & sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing, payment and sustainability aspects where applicable.
- Coordinate with supply chain team to execute commodity contracts
- Ensure thorough and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts
- Develop skills on Cargill's trading and hedging strategies, tactics and practices, including the use of futures, risk management derivatives and structured products
- Learn on various Transport modes and Operations/Storage costs.
- University Master degree with preferred major in Trade, Energy, Finance, Economics, Marketing, Sustainability
- Up to 2 years of prior work experience
- Fluent in German (native or above C1) and business fluency in English
- Exceptional knowledge of Excel
- Master degree in Business, Geopolitics, Agronomy
- Effective communication: compelling and authentic communicator, broad perspective, relationship builder
- Analytical skills: quantitative mind, thoughtful and systematic approach, inquisitive
- Business insight: commercial mindset, macroeconomics, political trends, long-term planning
- Choices and execution: mindful & level headed, integral, hold self and others accountable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player
- Handling ambiguity: adaptable, see opportunity in change, conceptual strength
- Risk appetite: composed, resilient, ready to investigate risks, right sizing
- Geographical flexibility and willingness to move
In return for your expertise and commitment, we will provide a fast paced stimulating international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer rewarding salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world.
What’s different within Cargill is our inclusion and global gender parity aspiration. You can find a few of the stories of diverse talent that make up the trading, merchandising and global trading analytics teams at Cargill. Access their stories here: https://www.cargill.com/story/the-future-of-trading-is-more-female
Interested? Then make sure to send us your CV and cover letter in English today.
Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cargill
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.