Commodity Merchandising Trainee
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s agricultural supply chain business, where we seamlessly connect farming customers with food, feed and industry.
Location(s): Sant Cugat, Spain
Currently we are looking for a COMMODITY MERCHANDISING TRAINEE for our Cargill Agricultural Supply Chain (CASC) EMEA Grain Group to join our team in a start position at Sant Cugat, Spain
In CASC EMEA we operate on an integrated global basis to source, process, transport and distribute our bulk commodities: grains and oilseeds around the world.
What is the Commodity Merchandising Trainee Program about?
We aim to develop top diverse talent towards future expert and managerial roles for our merchandising function as well as risk management, trading operations and market analysis at Cargill.
The program offers access to accelerate development on the job and through other channels during a 24-month program which may include depending on your area of expertise:
- Understanding the agricultural commodities trading industry and the markets for commodity merchandising.
- Understanding the local supply and demand factors that impact markets.
- Understanding drivers of Profit and Loss and take commercial decisions to generate revenue.
- Developing knowledge on Cargill's trading and hedging strategies, tactics and practices, including the use of futures, risk management derivatives and structured products.
- Initiating and negotiating on terms of commodity purchase, sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing and payment.
- Coordinating transportation and logistics to execute commodity contracts and interacting with other functions across the business.
- Ensuring detailed and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts.
- Developing collaborative relationships with external customers and suppliers in a customer facing role.
- Learning on the job from experts, developing technical and soft skills and receiving coaching from your manager and peers.
- Participating in structured learning (digital and instructor led) to develop your technical, professional and leadership skills with peers across Europe, Middle East and Africa, learning from each other during the different sessions of the Cargill European Graduate program.
- Building a peer network across Cargill.
During the first year the trainee will be assigned to our Grains team and work in close collaboration with 3 Senior Merchants located in Sant Cugat, 2 Senior Merchants in Nantes and the merchandising manager for France & Iberia.
The second year will be dedicated to learning of the specifics of oilseeds trading (sunflower seeds & soya)
On successful completion of training the trainee will embark on an exciting commercial career in the Merchandising Job Family with one of the CASC EMEA product lines in the dedicated country.
What you will bring to Cargill (REQUIRED)
- A completed Master degree with preferred major in Finance, Economics, Trading, Sales, Sustainability, Engineering(Agriculture).
- Entry level work experience (up to 2 years) and/or an internship in relevant areas.
- Native Spanish and Fluent English. Any other language is a plus.
- Good knowledge of Excel and other technical tools
- Geographical Mobility
- Proven natural leadership and interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Teamwork; ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-functional teams.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
- Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently. Willingness to take responsibility and initiative. Demonstrated experience in prioritizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Fast learner and oriented to self-development: curiosity to learn and create new way of building and/or improving systems and processes.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to proactively identify and resolve problems.
- Flexibility and managing ambiguity; able to cope with fast changes within a growing company and see opportunities in change.
- Risk appetite; composure, resilience, risk analysis and right sizing.
The successful candidates will be contacted by our recruitment team and invited to a phone interview with the recruiter.
We will provide a fast-paced stimulating international environment, which will challenge and stretch you. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest private companies in the world!
At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill's long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affiliation, or any other status protected by law. Cargill is also aligned with all applicable national and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and employment.
Interested? Then make sure to send us your CV and cover letter in English today.
Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cargill
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.