Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Senior Fermentation Scientist will be responsible for research and development on fermentation products and processes using advanced methodologies, such as -omics, metabolic flux and modelling, in-line measurements, machine learning, and data-based approaches. In this role, you will work with a global multidisciplinary team on innovation projects. You will provide thought and executional leadership on fermentation process development, while partnering with stakeholders in R&D, business, engineering and production.
- Complete initial scoping on projects to develop and optimize fermentation processes using advanced technologies and an understanding of microbial physiology.
- Create technical work plans for complex fermentation experiments.
- Conduct or coordinate experiments with a high level of excellence to ensure precise and accurate data.
- Process, analyze and interpret complex lab, pilot or plant data to support sound data-driven conclusions.
- Prepare and communicate experimental outcomes in reports and presentations to technical and business audiences, and provide recommendations for future work.
- Maintain awareness of the external landscape, partner with business colleagues and provide thought leadership to identify new opportunities or state-of-the-art technologies for biotechnology R&D.
- Independently handle complex issues with minimal supervision.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 4 years related work experience
- Knowledge and application of omics-based tools
- Knowledge and application of microbiology, microbial physiology and fermentation principles relevant to bioprocess development, scale-up and optimization.
- Knowledge and application of mathematical, statistical and quantification tools (e.g. Python, R, Julia, or Matlab for large dataset analysis).
- Experience with lab-scale fermentation equipment and microbial techniques.
- Confirmed working knowledge of scientific research principles, concepts, practices, and standards.
- Fluency with English
- Master’s or PhD degree in microbiology, biotechnology, biochemical/bioscience engineering or a related field.
- Experience in technical leadership of biotechnology projects.
- Experience with pilot or plant scale fermentation and downstream processing equipment.
- Demonstrated use of -omics to steer process and/or metabolic pathway optimization.
- Strong statistical foundation and numerical aptitude.
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.