Position Purpose & Summary
The Environmental manager position is responsible for applying in-dept knowledge and understanding of complex Environmental practices and standards across very large Solar pond networks and Salt Refinery processes including the extensive land areas covered by Salt operations.
The manger provides leadership and knowledge of complex issues, problems and solutions through the following areas of focus:
• Development and implementation of Environmental strategy & programs.
• Maintenance and continuous improvement of Environmental leading and lagging indicators.
• Shaping of the internal Environmental culture and management of the Companies external Environmental brand.
• Balancing and integrating the big picture/strategic concerns with day to day activities.
• Being a key influencer on policies and procedures with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Being knowledgeable and influential on critical topics like Climate change and sea level rise.
• Ensuring Environmental compliance at all times.
• Action centered Leadership with passion for achieving excellent results and contributing significantly to Organizational outcomes.
Key Member of the site Leadership team and leadership of talent development and good communication practices.
50% Develop & Implement Environmental Strategy and programs:
• Provides leadership and knowledge of complex issues by assesses Environmental risks and opportunities using full knowledge of Environmental legal and company compliance practices and standards (including current and future regulatory requirements) and potential impacts on stakeholder (agencies, community, interest groups, employees and Customers) priorities, or enterprise/ business/location strategy.
• Strategy and Programs must ensure Environmental compliance is achieved at all times.
• Leads efforts to ensure deep understanding and achieve support of the approved Environmental strategy from internal and external partners, stakeholders and agencies.
- Internally, this includes contributing to collaboration with a variety of other functions including Corporate lawyers and General counsel.
- Externally, includes efforts to educate and to negotiate approvals of complex operational permits with several regulating bodies and agencies.
- Developing support among stakeholders including community or activist groups, customers, unions, and the media community and work with external consultants and lawyers.
• Continuously builds professional working relationships with many important external stakeholders and agencies.
• Frequently, benchmarks internally and externally to identify best practices of others, consistent with and in support of the Environmental strategy.
• Identifies and implements changes to support continuous improvement of complex Environmental programs and processes.
30% Maintain and Continuously Improve Environmental indicators and results:
• Analyzes moderately complex processes and data to identify trends and isolate root causes. Lead process to ensure that appropriate follow-up actions are being implemented and sustained.
• Through existing systems, enters complex and varied measures and data according to corporate and BU EHS standards.
• Monitors and anticipates short-term changes in the external environment, including agencies, regulations, science, and stakeholder positioning.
• Assesses applicability and impact within and beyond immediate scope of responsibility. Provides recommendation on tactics to address/support change.
10% Lead Corporate EH&S Audits:
• Provides operational/tactical leadership to moderately complex EHS audit, inspection and risk assessment processes.
• Adopts EHS auditing and risk assessment standards and expands as appropriate.
• Using full knowledge of EHS practices and standards, reviews and analyzes audit results requiring some interpretation, to confirm that the corporate, business and government EHS standards are met.
10% Shape Internal Environmental Culture:
• Builds effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization in order to obtain/sustain a strong Environment culture.
• Leads and implements moderately complex portions of internal communications strategy relating to Environmental issues for key audiences that builds and maintains awareness of Environmental values, strategies, and performance; shares best practices and key learnings; develops talent; and recognizes high performance.
• Leads and promotes proactive workplace Environmental practices. Using full knowledge of Environmental practices and standards, provides technical, regulatory and behavioral consultation and support required to build a strong EHS culture.
• Designs and delivers moderately complex training solutions related to Environmental issues, practices and risks. Requires full knowledge of EHS practices and standards.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or higher Degree in Science related Field
- 5 or more years of Environmental Health and Safety Manager experience
- 2 or more years of management experience.
- 2 or more years of working knowledge of California related Environmental requirements, agencies and compliance.
- Travel up to 10% of the time.
- Masters or higher Degree in Science related Field
- 8 or more years of Environmental Health and Safety Manager experience
- Led Corporate EHS Audits or similar audits.
- Proven Influencer of External Agencies and stakeholders
- Project & Contractor management experience.
- Strong leadership, Organizational and directional competencies
- Directly and/or indirectly supervise medium to large teams of senior technical project team members, such as senior project engineers, EHS, Reliability, Food Safety, Manufacturing Technology, Procurement professionals, Third-party construction firms, average to significant number of contractors.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.