Launch your career engaging in meaningful work!
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive – a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. Our purpose is to nourish the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, we connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with food. We combine our experience with new technologies and insights to serve as a trusted partner for food, agriculture, financial and industrial customers in more than 125 countries. We offer a diverse, inclusive and inspiring working environment where you will grow personally and professionally.
What is the Commercial Merchandising Trainee Program about?
We aim to develop top diverse talent towards future expert and managerial roles for our trading and merchandising function at Cargill. The program offers access to accelerate development on the job and through other channels during a 24-month program which may include depending on your area of expertise:
- Understanding the agricultural commodities trading industry and the markets for commodity merchandising.
- Understanding the local supply and demand factors that impact markets.
- Understanding drivers of Profit and Loss and take commercial decisions to generate revenue.
- Developing knowledge on Cargill's trading and hedging strategies, tactics and practices, including the use of futures, risk management derivatives and structured products.
- Initiating and negotiating on terms of commodity purchase, sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing and payment.
- Coordinating transportation and logistics to execute commodity contracts and interacting with other functions across the business.
- Ensuring detailed and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts.
- Developing collaborative relationships with external customers and suppliers in a customer facing role.
- Learning on the job from experts, developing technical and soft skills and receiving coaching from your manager and peers.
- Participating in structured learning (digital and instructor led) to develop your technical, professional and leadership skills with peers across Europe, Middle East and Africa, learning from each other during the different sessions of the Cargill European Graduate program.
- Building a peer network across Cargill.
The trainee will join the team of 9 commercial professionals and go deeper into the specifics of two major product lines: grains and oilseeds.
What you will bring to Cargill (REQUIRED)
• A completed Master degree with major in Agriculture or Finance, Trade, Economics / Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Engineering.
• Up to 2 years of work or internship experience in relevant areas.
• Native French and fluent English.
• Good knowledge of Excel and other technical tools.
What you will bring to Cargill (PREFERRED)
• Geographical mobility
• Proven natural leadership and interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
• Teamwork; ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-functional teams
• High integrity and ethical standards
• Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently. Willingness to take responsibility and initiative. Demonstrated experience in prioritizing work and meeting deadlines
• Fast learner and oriented to self-development: curiosity to learn and create new way of building and/or improving systems and processes
• Strong analytical skills and ability to proactively identify and resolve problems
• Flexibility and managing ambiguity; able to cope with fast changes within a growing company and see opportunities in change
• Risk appetite; composure, resilience, risk analysis and right sizing.
Our usual recruitment process runs as follows: candidates meeting the criteria will be invited to complete a short introductory video interview (6-7 questions). After that, the shortlisted candidates will be proposed to do a 45-mins online assessment and 2 rounds of interviews with the members of the trading team. The final stage is a conversation with the hiring manager and a colleague of him.
We will provide a fast-paced stimulating international environment, which will challenge and stretch you. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest private companies in the world!
At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill's long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affiliation, or any other status protected by law. Cargill is also aligned with all applicable national and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and employment.