Senior Grain Merchant
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s agricultural supply chain business, where we seamlessly connect farming customers with food, feed and industry.
LOCATION: Witham St Hughs (Lincolnshire) LN6 9TN
Cargill’s portfolio of refined vegetable oils allows our customers in food manufacturing, retail, catering and food services to create a wide range of tasty nutritious food products. We partner with our customers in order to develop innovative products and solutions together to help them meet their consumer’s requirements.
As a Senior member on our agricultural commodities desk, this role will take responsibility for the merchandising of agricultural commodities produced by Cargill in the UK. A fundamental part of the role will be forming key relationships with customers and partners to ensure correct market access and maximizing profit. Working as part of a wider team, the candidate will also manage commercial risks of a physical supply chain business, including commodity price risk and commercial asset management.
- Merchandise agricultural commodity products on a daily basis
- Create market reports/ data, by a thorough understanding of the customer and the markets in which they operate
- Establish a sales pricing strategy and daily offer prices on a real time basis for customers
- Negotiate sales contracts with UK/ Ireland customers
- Identify opportunities to add value to customers and maximize profit
- Manage customer contracts to ensure these are inputted and executed correctly, ensuring customer credit exposures are within agreed limits
- Manage the inherent risks of an physical commodity such as price, storage costs
- When constructing a market position collaborate closely with Cargill Supply Chain Teams
- Report on daily risk positions and Profit and Loss
- Work closely with our manufacturing and planning teams in Liverpool and Hull to maximize the efficiency of the product
- Substantial proven supplier or customer facing experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
- Ability to deliver commercial results
- Proven commercial acumen and strong negotiation skills with knowledge of contracts
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Computer literacy including strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Strong communication skills, written and oral with fluency in English
- Proven experience in merchandising and or trading agricultural commodities
- Some UK travel will be required, so flexibility is needed
In return for your expertise and commitment, we will provide a fast paced stimulating international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world.
Cargill is committed to being an inclusive employer. Click here to find out more https://careers.cargill.com/diversity/
Our usual recruitment process is as follows; candidates meeting the criteria will be invited to a telephone interview with a member of the Talent Acquisition team. If this is successful you will be invited to a further interview with the Hiring Manager and members of the hiring team. For some of our positions a final interview will also be needed.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.