Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Connect to meaningful work. Feed the world. Achieve your higher purpose.
What if your ideas could nourish the world? As an associate, we transfer your knowledge and skills into profound experiences that positively impact our global community. From food to transportation, your innovative solutions, collaboration and dedication will evolve industries to take on tomorrow's greatest challenges. And that's just the beginning. Because when your skills meet our unrivaled network and breadth of opportunity, your career is without bounds. Join our community to realize the impact of your work, help people around the world and connect with something greater.
Commodity Trading Associate Position:
As an entry-level Commodity Trading Associate you will be a part of a fast-paced environment, tackling real-world challenges while trading agricultural commodities such as grain, oilseeds/oilseed products, feed and processing by-products. We look for people who are comfortable taking and managing risk, challenging the status quo and who are motivated and driven to succeed.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships with country elevators, producers, feed mills, and processors
- Analyze supply and demand, survey market conditions, and other economic forces in order to maintain and grow Cargill's position in the market place
- Initiate, negotiate and agree on terms of commodity purchase/sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing and payment
- Coordinate transportation and logistics to execute commodity contracts
- Ensure thorough and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts
- Provide timely and effective communication and interaction with other Cargill teams such as sales, transportation and logistics, quality assurance, plant personnel, engineers and accountants
- Make occasional plant and crop survey trips to visit with suppliers and internal and external customers
- Complete and collaborate on other projects and assignments as needed
Key Capabilities for Success:
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, even when outcome is uncertain
- Comfortable taking and managing risks and challenging the status quo
- Strong oral and written communication skills; strong persuasion and negotiation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills; working in a team environment; coaching and developing others
- Essential leadership qualities of integrity, conviction and courage
- Motivation and drive to succeed
- Adaptable, flexible and able to work in a fast paced, price-volatile, changing environment
- Willingness to relocate and accept challenging responsibilities
No matter who you are or where you are, we’ve designed our plans and programs to meet your needs. We want to help you take care of what’s needed for today and offer protection to help with tomorrow’s what-ifs. You’ll have access to a wide variety of flexible and inclusive programs to meet your health, financial, and work/life needs to support you and help you thrive. Eligible programs and incentives include:
- Paid holidays and floating holidays
- Paid time off
- Comprehensive health care plans
- Short term and long-term incentives
- Mental Health and Wellbeing program
- Digital Learning Library
- Retirement plans
- Paid time to participate in volunteer and community outreach opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Relocation benefits for those that qualify
Our Vibrant Community:
At Cargill, you will be a part of our vibrant global community with a culture that celebrates diversity. This is a reflection of the clients we serve and generates an intellectually diverse set of employees. Business Resource Groups (BRGs) help us embrace our diversity, make our culture more inclusive and enhance our employees’ outstanding talents and perspectives to benefit our organization and employees.
Our U.S. Business Resource Groups include:
Asian Alliance Network, Cargill Young Professionals Network, Cargill Ability Network (iCAN), Cargill Ebony Council, Group Responsible for Orienting and Welcoming (GROW), Hispanic-Latino Council, Cargill Pride Network, Veterans & Military Support Network, and Cargill Women’s Network.
Candidates who meet the required qualifications below and who are selected for a final-round interview will be asked to complete an assessment within 72 hours of the interview. Then selected finalists will be invited to interview at Cargill’s Corporate Headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota or virtually if needed.
- Various U. S. locations: Eddyville, IA; Fort Dodge, IA; Omaha, NE; Amarillo, TX; Minneapolis, MN; Lafayette, IN; Kansas City, KS
- Opportunities may be located in either a plant or office setting
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited program, graduating between December 2022 and Summer 2023
- Ability to work optimally with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds and cultures
- All candidates must be geographically flexible and willing to relocate for an associate opportunity anywhere in the U.S.
- Ability to contribute, both as part of a team and individually
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- Successfully completed, currently enrolled, or planning to complete before graduating either a micro or macro introductory college-level economics course
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.