Build Project Engineer
- With oversight of plant Engineering Manager, leads the preparation & execution of Build projects (“low complexity” as per Build PPM complexity differentiators)
- Utilizes the project management framework to achieve technical project objectives of delivered safely, on time, on budget and operability results are realized for Local Base Build projects
- Regularly measures and monitors project progress to identify variances from the plan and make needed corrections for “low complexity” brown field mainly Build projects.
- Contains and resolves technical issues within the Build project that do not require Project Sponsor or Project Manager attention.
- Defines technical project objectives utilizing thorough knowledge of project management practices and procedures.
- Leads development of the project scope based on thorough knowledge of Build project management practices, strategies and procedures and capital effectiveness best practices
- Prepares the plan for how the Build project is executed, monitored and controlled and works with the Project Manager to develop the Integrated Project Plan for the project.
- Works with cross-functional professionals to leverage knowledge and practices that increase value captured throughout the Build project.
- Provides strategic vision to the project team utilizing a thorough knowledge of Build project management practices, strategies and procedures, and must possess general technical acumen and a basic knowledge of business acumen.
- Leads periodic project reviews utilizing a thorough knowledge of the project delivery process for Build projects (inclusive of reviews recognized by the construction industry).
- Identifies, recommends and implements project management best practices based on thorough knowledge of project management.
- Identifies, recommends and implements capital effectiveness best practices (e.g. front-end loading, team alignment, target setting, project controls, rate of change, value improving practices, leading technology, constructability, planning for startup) based on thorough knowledge of Build project management.
- Champions and reinforces Cargill’s behavioral based safety process and zero fatalities throughout every phase of Build project.
- Ensures Build projects are planned and executed in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Works with and manages engineering firms across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Accountable for providing the Plant Engineering Manager and the Project Sponsor and stakeholders with a routine status of the Build project and actively communicating technical issues and threats.
- Works with business to ensure project is successfully implemented and technical benefits and value are captured for the Build projects assigned.
- Ensures the Build project meets the operability requirements laid out in the project objectives by the business.
- Accountable for achieving strategic and tactical metrics from internal benchmarking; indices may include Safety Fatalities, Operability Index, Cost Index, Schedule Index, etc.
- Ensures successful completion and closure of all technical aspects of the Build project.
- Any other duties as assigned
Decision making authority
- As engineering representative actively participates and contributes on decision making process on project(s) when request comes from BU in the region.
- Prepare projects proposals in his assignment. (technical, resource, execution plan)
- Ensures the proper communication and alignment of the project team members.
- Approves the technical requisitions, together with project team.
- Contribute to development of contracts prepared by the discipline engineers/leaders and procurement manager(s) involved in his project(s).
- Follows PDP for projects from initial phase until at least PDP-phase 3 to ensure value engineering (most economic, technical effective solution; development of different alternatives/options; best practice; risks mitigation).
- Ensures the implementation of health and safety corporate policy of all employees (Cargill and contractor) involved in the project(s) under his responsibility.
- Ensures that most effective technical solution is applied for the projects in his responsibility.
- Ensures that best practices are applied for all projects in his responsibility.
- Ensure that the Cargill best practices, policies and guidelines are kept up to date with lessons learned and experiences from the project.
- Ensures Cargill’s guiding principles followed 100% during project execution.
- Ensures the proper performance of the contractors on functional level for a good project execution (safety, quality, on time delivery).
- Ensures the permits procedures followed properly and works with local organization and proper consultants to get the related approval(s) from local authorities.
- Ensures the proper and transparent project control methods for time and budget control are implemented and followed closely.
Specific Leadership skills
- Ensures proper, professional and transparent project reporting will be accomplished and regularly communicated to project team, Local Engineering Manager, Regional Capital Engineering & Effectiveness Manager, Site Manager for the project(s) under his responsibility.
- Adjusts & updates budget of his project(s) to stay within the allocation. Proposes timely the solutions in case there is the unexpected change that may affect the project lifecycle.
- Report & Implement according to procedure in force potential change in scope or potential need of contingency reserve
- Defines and requests relevant engineering resources (internal/external) in coordination with Plant Engineering Manager
- Provides feedback on identifying talents.
- Intensively communicates and stays in coordination with all disciplines involved in the specific project(s) (engineering, procurement, process control, electrical/instrumentation and automation, reliability & maintenance, EHS, FSQR and QA&QC, human resources) and with whom the build project engineer shares the whole life cycle responsibilities of the assets (BU project manager, project user and sponsor).
- Master’s degree in food, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or similar experience
- Job experience: Minimum 5 years in Engineering environments (food or other continuous processes)
- Speaking French and English
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with the Project Management process or the FEL process for low rigor Build projects, including PPM/FEL and Build deliverables
- Knowledge of Cargill's technical subject matter experts and cross-function experts, and when to use on a project to design and build a project that is the Best (safer, cost effective, faster, operable & maintainable)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience applying basic project controls principles throughout a project (work breakdown structure, cost estimating methods & validation, project execution planning, and cost & schedule control during execution) Knowledge of Environmental, Health & Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory Affairs experts and when to engage in a project to plan and execute the project to comply with the French laws.
- Demonstrated ability to reinforce Cargill's behavioral based safety process
- Demonstrated experience effectively facilitating communication between multiple groups, negotiating, influencing and aligning practices to achieve project objectives
- Knowledge of job accounting systems and tracking, forecasting & reporting costs throughout a project
- Demonstrated experience using best practices (document management, constructability reviews, contracting strategies, risk management, quality assurance & inspections)
- Demonstrated experience working with Strategic Sourcing to leverage a suppliers capabilities to formulate project strategies that are a competitive advantage to Cargill, develop a procurement management plan, negotiate and evaluate bids using criteria such as Total Cost of Ownership, and properly administer procurement and construction agreements used to procure goods and services
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience managing documents in accordance to Cargill's guidelines, policies and procedures for Records & Information Management, Intellectual Property, and Corporate Financial Reporting
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience working with Engineering Service Provider
- High self-initiative, setting own goals and execution
- Demonstrated high levels of organization, written and verbal communication, and documentation skills
- Motivation and ability to execute projects/tasks in a timely manner, Strong prioritization and time management skills
- Problem solving
- Participated in Project Definition Rating Index review
- Knowledge of and experience using basic Change Management principles and tools (for example stakeholder management, communication planning, performance reporting, RASCI)
- Completed Cargill’s Construction Project Management course, Build Project Manager Academy courses or relevant previous project experience
- Ability to work with multiple functions
- Demonstrated experience continuously enhancing the quality of the project management processes
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.