Shipping & Trading lawyer
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 155 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
JOB PURPOSE AND IMPACT
The Lawyer will independently handle the commercial legal affairs for a combination of Cargill’s commodities trading and shipping businesses (including the following, Cargill’s global commodities trading businesses trading grains, oilseeds, vegetable oils, ethanol products; Cargill’s Grain and Oilseed Crush business units, which originate and trade agricultural commodities as well as operate oilseed crush and biodiesel facilities, and Cargill’s Ocean Transportation) and functions with limited oversight from senior lawyers. We seek a professional who will provide legal advice and recommend action to leaders regarding matters of moderate to high complexity or a sizable financial impact. In this role, you will work very closely with other members of the Cargill Law Department and deal directly with more intermediate legal matters.
- You will serve as an expert in the shipping and trading field and work with limited direction, using additional experience, research and interpretation to proactively identify and handle issues. As a member of a global shipping and trading team you may provide counsel to other team members and be a key contributor.
- Management of and prompt responses to day-to-day issues relating to commodity trading and shipping (both physical & non-physical), which includes advising on English law governed documentation, advising on and avoiding day-to-day disputes and problems, handling any ensuing claim, arbitration and litigation (e.g. GAFTA, FOSFA, LMAA).
- Proactively identify, evaluate and address legal risk in a commercial context and independently research, analyze and interpret proposed and existing laws, statutes and regulations.
- Independently structure, draft, negotiate and approve legal agreements, written communications and other English law governed documents related to a variety of trade, commercial, financial and operational matters.
- Gather relevant facts and information from multiple sources using probing questions and methods; apply the result to research legal principles and precedents.
- Provide practical solutions and advice to business and function leaders.
- Engagement, oversight and cost management of outside counsel.
- Provide expert thought leadership in your field and work with limited direction, using additional research and interpretation to identify issues or problems. You may provide direction to supporting team members and be a strategic contributor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of six years of related work experience.
- Qualified UK solicitor or lawyer or comparable English and common law experience.
- Minimum of six years of substantive work experience in shipping and trading either at Law Firms or in-house.
- Familiarity with the regulations of derivatives and associated financial services.
- Knowledge of carbon and energy markets.
- Excellent English.
- Excellent communication, advocacy, writing and drafting skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to community service.
- Experience as a member of cross-cultural teams.
In return for your expertise and commitment, we will provide a fast paced stimulating international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world.
Interested? Then make sure to send us your CV and cover letter in English today.
Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cargill
Cargill is committed to being an inclusive employer. Click here to find out more https://careers.cargill.com/diversity/
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.