Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Environmental Health and Safety Specialist will provide expertise to ensure compliance regarding environmental, health and safety regulations. In this role, you will help develop, implement and maintain processes and programs that comply with federal, state and local regulations and requirements. You will lead in a low complexity facility or support a higher complexity facility and monitor and handle up to three highly hazardous processes, low to high serious injuries and fatalities, potential serious environmental events or sites with low to high maturity.
- Implement and handle processes and systems for environmental health and safety hazard identification and risk management.
- Create effective emergency response plan, train workforce and coordinate test plans on a defined frequency and validate emergency action plan.
- Participate in incident investigations based on incident classification in partnership with specialists internally and externally or regulatory authorities to identify the root cause and help prevent recurrence.
- Implement and execute controls and programs and ensure they work as planned.
- Prepare for audits, governmental inspections and customer visits and identify data and reports needed to monitor performance and compliance against goals.
- Support appropriate training content and delivery mode, in line with global and regional requirements, conduct gap assessment to identify training needs and adjust curriculum to reflect site specific needs.
- Understand risks applicable to contractor and external service providers, implement, monitor and evaluate approved processes to control environmental health and safety risks with contractors.
- Independently solve moderately complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Relocation assistance will be provided for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Training or knowledge of legislation and business processes in environmental health and safety systems, ecology, environmental protection and industrial safety.
- Minimum of two years of related work experience
- Other minimum qualifications may apply
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse groups in a large organization.
- Knowledge of international instruments aimed at reducing injuries (near miss, observation, risk assessment).
- Experience with environmental health and safety management systems.
- Experience in organizing safety management system for specialists of contracting organizations.
- Bilingual English and Spanish
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.