Protein Sales Associate 2021
As a Protein Sales Associate, you will pursue independent, localized, and business-facilitated development. You will gain technical understanding of animal protein processing; including process flow, yield, variances, USDA regulations, accounting, and information technologies. Additional training in core business functions, leadership skills, personal and career development, and professional sales will be provided as you grow your skillset as a sales professional. You will develop in a collaborative, multi-level team environment, actively pursuing practical and passive experiences that will effectively prepare you for success. In time, you will manage customer portfolios as you distribute, sell, promote, and merchandise Cargill Protein products.
Potential Business Areas:
- Cargill Trade Sales (Including Beef and Food Distribution)
- Cargill Retail Sales
- Cargill Protein Ingredient Sales
- Cargill Food Service Sales
Think about the opportunity to become a part of a structured training and development program designed to build specific skills and knowledge while being exposed to all facets of Cargill Protein business operations. The training is designed to teach the various aspects of the business prior to placement in a role that aligns the candidate with business needs. Portions of the training will most likely be held in a processing facility, and periods of working in cold or wet environments should be expected.
The below information describes the one-year training program for the Cargill Protein Sales Associate position.
- Leadership and development training
- Plant operations experiences
- Focused sales training
- Assigned business projects
The Protein Sales Associate Training Program role enables the individual to become familiar with the workflow of the business operations, and to develop knowledge of meat processing production, including food safety and overall production management. Associates will be trained in a number of areas to learn skills and gain knowledge necessary to succeed in a sales leadership role. Following the training program, associates will be placed in an account manager role that aligns the candidate with business needs.
- Apply broad theoretical job knowledge to sell directly to customers.
- Engage in all training/ development programs as directed.
- Solicit and deliver sales bids, proposals, presentations, and product demonstrations as directed.
- Identify and contact prospective customers.
- Build customer relationships that generate future sales and repeat business.
- Perform under minimal supervision and independently handle complex clerical, administrative, technical, and customer support issues while referring only the most complex issues to higher-level staff.
- Other duties as assigned
Associate Program Benefits:
- Cargill offers relocation benefits to associates who qualify (based on mileage).
- Associates are eligible for comprehensive health care plans and incentives.
- Tuition reimbursement benefits are offered to associates who wish to continue their education in their career field.
- Associates are offered competitive retirement plans and registration assistance.
- As employees, associates receive access to Cargill volunteer and community outreach opportunities and paid time off to participate in volunteer activities.
We promote a culture that celebrates differences. This is a reflection of the clients we serve and generates intellectually diverse employees. Cargill’s Business Resource Groups (BRGs) help us embrace our diversity, make our culture more inclusive and leverage our employees’ unique talents and perspectives to benefit our organization and employees.
Our U.S. Business Resource Groups include:
- Asian Alliance Network
- Cargill Young Professionals Network
- Cargill Ability Network (iCAN)
- Cargill Ebony Council
- Group Responsible for Orienting and Welcoming (GROW)
- Hispanic-Latino Council
- Cargill Pride Network
- Veterans & Military Support Network
- Cargill Women’s Network
- Chicago, Illinois or St. Louis, Missouri
- Office setting with travel to plants for training as necessary
- Travel approximately 20% or less
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited program with a graduation date between December 2020 and May 2021
- Geographically flexible and willing and able to relocate to either Chicago, IL or St. Louis, MO
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20%, as needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to contribute, both as part of a team and individually
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- Multilingual in Spanish and English
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree or recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited program with a major in Agricultural Business, Ag Econ, Ag Management or similar agricultural discipline
- Previous intern or co-op experience
- Overall 3.0 GPA or higher preferred
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and make decisions independently
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, with ability to influence decision-making
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s protein and salt business, where we provide wholesome, high-quality food products to a wide range of customers, from foodservice operators and grocery stores to manufacturers and exporters.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.