Smart Manufacturing Internship at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Research Park – Summer 2021
YOU MUST CURRENTLY BE ENROLLED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, URBANA-CHAMPAIGN (UIUC) FOR THIS INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY WITH CARGILL AT THE UIUC RESEARCH PARK
Want to work at the forefront of artificial intelligence and agriculture? In partnership with Cargill, at the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign (UIUC) research park, you will be given the opportunity as a graduate level intern to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a real-life environment and then multiply by tenfold. Cargill has a significant presence across agricultural supply chains globally and has 1500 manufacturing assets across the world. With that footprint comes massive amounts of data. AI in Smart Manufacturing unleashes the power of automation, data, and analytics to improve manufacturing. Companies are increasingly building digital twins using the wealth of IoT sensor data collected across the plant to increase the OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) of the plants leading to higher yields, improved efficiency, and increased quality at a minimal cost.
As a Smart Manufacturing Intern, from day one, you will be an integral part of the team working with the engineering and data science teams, and will tackle real challenges, cultivate your curiosity, have client exposure, enjoy both personal and team accomplishments and have your initiative acknowledged along the way. You will collaborate and build relationships with colleagues and clients who represent diverse work, culture and resolution styles. We look for people who want to grow, support, think and produce.
This position is part of the Engineering and Data Sciences team. Your project will connect you back to the business where you will interact with a multidisciplinary team of plant managers, process control engineers etc. You will bring strong technical skills to our data science capabilities. You will explore, connect, and mine data; plus develop models using algorithms for pattern detection. In this position you will be part of the AI in Smart Manufacturing Capability where you will be working to solve reliability, energy performance, safety, predictive maintenance, forecasting, and optimization problems.
- 70% - Develop and code/build models for unit process operations by applying mass and energy balances, reaction kinetics, and process control algorithms to different types of process operations
- 20% - Work in a cross-disciplinary project team of software engineers, database specialists, data scientists, and business subject-matter experts to develop a project plan and deliverables, plus communicate technical solutions to a non-technical audience.
- 10% - Design strategies and propose algorithms to analyze and leverage data from a variety of sources.
Job Location: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in Champaign, IL
- Must be currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program at the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign in Process Systems Engineering or related fields (Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or Biological Systems Engineering etc.), Data Science, Mathematics, Physics, or related fields with a graduation date of May 2022 or later.
- Able to complete a minimum 12- week internship in Summer 2021(May / June- August 2021)
- Experience developing and testing process models from first principles. machine learning or statistical projects.
- Experience developing and testing dynamic process models from first principles.
- Experience with various basic process control theory – proportional-integral-derivative control.
- Interested in learning model deployment in a production setting
- Ability to understand complex and ambiguous business needs and apply the right tools and approaches
- Curious, self-motivated, driven, and have a passion for problem solving
- Collaborative team player
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong presentation skills; ability to present technical solutions to non-technical persons in an easy to understand way
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Right to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Experience in agriculture, commodity, or manufacturing businesses
- Experience working MATLAB/Simulink, ASPEN Plus Suite
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.