Full Stack Software Engineering Internship Fall 2021 at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Research Park
YOU MUST CURRENTLY BE ENROLLED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, URBANA-CHAMPAIGN (UIUC) FOR THIS INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY WITH CARGILL AT THE UIUC RESEARCH PARK
In partnership with the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) Research Park, you will be given the opportunity as an intern to work with Cargill Digital Labs through our local office, The Cargill Innovation Lab at UIUC, to gain hands on experience in real business situations and be exposed to many of Cargill’s businesses and functions during the work term.
As an intern, you would work in a project team where software engineering, analytical skills, product design, UX / UI design, leadership, collaboration, inclusion, and innovation are keys to success.
As an organization, Cargill’s mission is to lead in nourishing the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Cargill Digital Labs (CDL) strives to help prepare Cargill for a digital future. The vision of this future includes a thriving digital culture, continually launching of new digital business initiatives, and that Cargill will be a digital thought leader in the food and agriculture industries.
In May 2019, Cargill established a research site within UIUC’s Research Park to further this mission. In its first iteration, we leverage the site to host digital research projects, such as software, hardware and engineering prototypes that are staffed by student interns from the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign. As we gain learnings from the experience, we will grow and mature our development capabilities within the park to best suit Cargill’s evolving digital journey.
Why intern with us?
- Professional Experience - Gain professional experience as a software engineer working in a cross-functional team. Learn best practices from industry professionals. Understand what it is like to work within an agile software product team.
- Build Prototypes - Work on fast-paced, digital prototype projects. Ship a functioning prototype over the course of weeks. Collaborate with clients to test prototypes and gain real-world insights.
- Cross-Functional - Gain exposure speaking with and presenting to a variety of stakeholders across business, engineering, design and product functions. Work in tandem with a UX UI designer on understanding the user’s journey, wireframes and user interface designs.
- Startup Culture – Wonder what it would be like to work within a product team at a software company? Or how about getting a software MVP off the ground? Your project for the semester will include building a prototype from scratch or exploring future features of an existing app. You’re paired with other software engineers and UX UI designers to go from requirements gathering, planning, design, architecture, dev, quality assurance to testing with real users over the course of a semester.
- Use Cases That Matter – Work on real innovation initiatives that serve a variety of clients at Cargill ranging from animal nutrition, animal supply chain, food industry, learning and development, to trading and analytics. Apply your talents on digital initiatives that transform global food systems.
Having the Right Mindset
While engineering fundamentals are a must, we look for students that enjoy startup culture and are adept at working collaboratively within a team. Comfort with ambiguity is a must. Empathy for other functions and the end user is critical. Lean mindset to build the smallest thing possible is a key to success. We don’t expect you to be an expert on the entire stack, but we do look for students that are hungry to learn new things. Expand your skills in a high growth ag tech industry just a few blocks off campus.
Job Locations: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in Champaign, IL
- Must be currently enrolled as a student at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign graduating between December 2021 and Summer 2023
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree with a major or minor in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other technology related discipline OR commensurate experience with software engineering in lieu of pursuing a related major/minor.
- Must have the right to work in the US that is not based solely on the possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer.
- Able to complete at minimum a semester-long internship during the Fall 2021 semester (September – December 2021).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Must possess a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in completing work with limited guidance
- Willing to take ownership of project and work
- Must be able to complete essential functions of this job as outlined in the job description with reasonable accommodations
- Pursuing a cross-disciplined degree in either Economics, Business, Food Science, or Agriculture Business.
- Overall 3.0 GPA preferred
- Commercial product software development experience; experience with agile development methodologies
- Strong prioritization and problem-solving skills; collaboration skills; verbal and written communication skills; and information research and gathering skills
- Knowledge of full-stack or mobile development, database design, and basic software engineering principles
- Interested in returning to the Lab across additional semesters beyond Summer 2022
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.