Cargill operates some of the most technologically advanced production plants in the world. We need dependable, efficient, safety-minded individuals to join our team. General Operators are vital to our daily operations. Examples of roles include preparing meat to be cooked, palletizing boxed product, administration work, using scanners and computers to track product, and verifying quality and accuracy. Please note, specific roles will vary greatly by plant and location. Safety is always our number one priority, and no matter your experience level, we'll train you for success. Your work in our plants can help you grow both personally and professionally. Discover how your work can nourish the world and help you thrive.
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
What makes a successful General Production Professional at Cargill?
Check out some of the key traits that are important for this job to see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Back to Job Navigation (Success)
“What I like about Cargill's safety procedures is that they're really easy to follow and they've become a really big part of our culture here.”
Rachel G., QA Food Safety Support
“I've worked at several different plants, and I feel Cargill listens and cares for everyone's safety. I feel like safety is there main focus with employees. They've provided me with ESL classes to take, and great discounts with gym memberships which gives me energy helps me focus day in and day out. I just love it here!”
“Cargill has change my life a lot! I feel like people really care about their employees. They have been very supportive with my life changes and have even given me an opportunity to move up. I'm now a safety lead at my table.”
“Here at Cargill, people treat me good, and I treat them good. Since I've been working here, I've been able to grow spiritually, and mentally. I've been able to gain confidence in wanting to move up in my position. Since I've been working here at Cargill, I've gotten married, and thankful that I can support me and my beautiful wife.”
Job ID CED01274
Date posted 01/13/2021
This full-time position is located in Cedar Rapids, IA; however please expect receiving calls from a 952 area code in case you are considered. Relocation assistance is not provided.
The purpose of this position is to train and become familiar with plant operations and to efficiently transfer into the first available position in the facility. Interacts on a regular basis with operators, supervisors and other personnel.
- Complete onboarding safety training
- Safely train in all operations areas of the facility
- Assist plant personnel as needed, and will perform any other duty as requested by the production supervisor.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a dusty environment.
- Enter confined spaces under proper permit conditions and supervision: including dust collectors, extractors, DT, meal dryers and bean tanks.
- Control traffic through department and ensure that all visitors follow safety rules.
- Troubleshoot problems as required.
- Perform light maintenance, such as replacing valves, troubleshooting conveyors and pumps, etc. while safely using wrenches, air tools, hammers and various hand tools.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary atmosphere with a high regard for environmental impact of the operation
- Enter notifications utilizing maintenance computer program.
- Understand and adhere to state and federal Occupational Safety and Health rules and regulations as related to plant safety. Follow all Cargill safety rules and regulations.
- Complete all housekeeping assignments, work to improve the condition of the department, and work as a team member with a positive attitude
- Attend various mandatory safety and department meetings
- Communicate in a courteous and positive manner to accomplish duties effectively, working as a team with all involved.
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer.
- Cargill requires employees be a minimum of 18 years old to work in a production facility.
- Must be able to perform physical job duties including bending/stooping, climbing ladders, open/close valves, shoveling, pounding with hammer and work in confined spaces
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must be able to work under special work conditions, such as extreme heat or cold.
- Ability to work in elevated areas
- Must be able to operate machinery
- Must be able to read/write English
- High School diploma or Equivalent
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work overtime
- Ability to work holidays, nights, weekends or different shifts
- Able to operate heavy equipment
- Forklift certified
- Prior experience in production related work
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Find Your Match