Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s animal nutrition and health business, where we improve lives through better nutrition. Our team researches, innovates and creates solutions that deliver healthy results for our customers.
JOB PURPOSE AND IMPACT
The Merchant II will contribute to handling a supplier base and fulfill transactions delivering commodities that meet production requirements and specifications in terms of timing, volume, quantity, and cost. We seek a professional who will help buy and sell commodities from/to country elevators, producers, feed mills and processors.
- Responsible for grain and ingredient merchandising for Cargill Animal Nutrition feed mills and customers across the US and Canada. This role requires understanding of markets and supply of specific ingredients in a diverse market area. Grow through new market exploration and development.
- Develop and maintain relationships with both internal and external suppliers as well as internal and external customers.
- Manage risk around positions. This will include flat price risk, futures risk, and freight expense risk.
- Provides contribution on local teams to strategies/game plans by generating ideas and collaborating with other merchandising team members and functional leaders.
- Short- and long-range risk management
- Asset placement and logistics capability investments
- Applies a full understanding of Merchandising practices and procedures to move goods from surplus to deficit, by locating market optimization (i.e. arbitrage) with limited creativity.
- Utilizes Cargill merchandising tools to make decisions around forward positions risks and quality
- Maintain Risk management reporting and tools to utilize the assets deployed to Cargill’s North American feed business.
- Ongoing training in knowledge and skills in areas of Markets, Risk, and Strategies
- Independently solve moderately complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff
- Develop future teammates
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of related work experience
- High computer literacy specifically in MS Office Excel
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to changing conditions in the business
- Proven strategic thinking, decision making and problem-solving skills and the ability to deal with ambiguity
- Demonstrated high execution capacity
- Motivation and ability to execute projects/tasks in a timely manner, strong prioritization, and time management skills
- Experience in AS400 based ERP systems or SAP
- Grain merchandising experience or bachelor’s degree in agriculturally based curriculum
- Knowledge of risk management principles
- Basic knowledge of production agriculture and agronomy
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.