Job location: Witham St Hughs, Lincoln, UK
We are recruiting a Commodity Merchandising Trainee to join our team in Cargill’s Agricultural Supply Chain EMEA group in Witham St Hughs, Lincolnshire. We operate on a global basis to source, process, transport and distribute grain and oilseeds around the world. The main bulk products we handle are wheat, corn, oilseeds, barley and sorghum, as well as vegetable oils and meals. The position provides an extensive 24 months training mainly in Merchandising, but also Risk Management, Trading Operations and Market Analysis, to produce excellent commodity merchandising professionals in diverse agricultural commodities: grains, oilseeds, feed and processing by-products.
You will begin with an initial, intensive 4-6 month orientation. A series of short-term placements in various parts of our UK operation will provide hands-on exposure to our shipping and logistics, customer services, administration, operations and finance areas. Once you understand the key elements of the business, you will join a small commercial team or "desk" responsible for the risk management, sales and marketing of a variety of grains, vegetable oils and other soft commodities worldwide. In the European Graduate Program, you could expect some or all of the following experiences within the first two years with Cargill:
Initial assignment to a job
On-going virtual learning experiences
Frequent feedback and support
Networking with International colleagues
- Learn the agricultural commodities trading industry: worldwide, historical evolution, mission, our role in it, figures, flows, inventories, transportation, commodities, quality specifics for each product.
- Understand markets for Commodity Merchandising; value, partners, flows, common behaviours, related legislation, fiscal policy around it
- Understand the local supply and demand factors that impact markets
- Understand drivers of Profit and Loss and take commercial decisions to generate revenue
- Develop knowledge on Cargill's trading and hedging strategies, tactics and practices, including the use of futures, risk management derivatives and structured products
- Initiate, negotiate and agree on terms of commodity purchase, sale contracts, such as price, quality, quantity, transportation, timing and payment
- Coordinate transportation and logistics to execute commodity contracts
- Ensure detailed and accurate follow-up, execution, and closure of all contracts
- Develop collaborative relationships with external customers and suppliers in a customer facing role
- A recent graduate with a Bachelor’s degree 2:1 grade or equivalent in any subject
- Analytical skills and willing to challenge, demonstrate intellectual curiosity and learn quickly
- Strong numerical and mental arithmetic skills
- Computer literate
- A commercial attitude and able to see the broader perspective
- We are looking for individuals who want responsibility from the beginning and want to gain experience by being proactive and demonstrate initiative
- Solutions orientated, able to work to deadlines and handle conflicting priorities
- Work in a multi-cultural cross functional team
- Proficient spoken and written English with the ability to persuade and influence others
- A full UK driving licence
- A willingness to travel in the UK and Europe if required
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.