Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s agricultural supply chain business, where we seamlessly connect farming customers with food, feed and industry.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Merchant will contribute to handling a supplier base and fulfill transactions delivering commodities that meet production requirements and specifications in terms of timing, volume, quantity and cost. In this role you will be a member of the Soy Processing Commercial team that is primarily responsible for soybean meal sales, game plan development, recommending trading and marketing strategies and overseeing logistics execution for a soy processing plant in the region. You will focus mainly on soybean meal sales, working and managing relationships with various established customers and prospecting new business. You will be part of the overall merchandising team which develops game plans on soybeans, meal, oil, hulls and the total margin generation and P&L for the respective crush plant. In this role you will be expected to learn and grow into a leader among peers on the team. We seek a professional who will help buy and sell commodities from/to country elevators, producers, feed mills and processors.
- Collaborate and align functional areas including all product line merchandising, origination, operations, logistics, and finance teams to maximize asset utilization and earnings within the region via establishing game plans, offers, margin structure and objectives, ensuring efficient execution.
- Evaluate, manage and communicate risk universe (Game-plans, Bean/meal position, bean pipeline position, bean and meal quality, P&L and open contract risk including, but not limited to: contract exposure, credit, A/R, past due contracts, contract confirmations, etc.)
- Enter routine data and run specialty reports from our contract management databases and systems.
- Plan sales and transportation to maximize profitable use of stock and storage facilities.
- Research and analyze various freight opportunities in the marketplace to maximize margin.
- Work directly with customers, suppliers and business counterparts to meet their needs in solving routine problems and addressing complaints and concerns.
- Independently solve moderately complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of related work experience
- Ability to travel as needed to visit plants and customers.
- Ability to understand grain margins, futures and basis relationships.
- Basic knowledge of production agriculture &/or livestock feeding.
Location: Olathe, Kansas.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.