Commercial Management Trainee
Launch your career engaging in meaningful work!
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive – a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. Our purpose is to nourish the world in a safe, responsible and sustainable way. Every day, we connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with food. Leveraging our trading, customer and commodity experience, we expand our business to also connecting customers along the ferrous supply chain, shipping and finance industry. We combine our experience with new technologies and insights to serve as a trusted partner for agriculture, financial and industrial customers in more than 125 countries. We offer a diverse, inclusive and inspiring working environment where you will grow personally and professionally.
Location: London, UK
Cargill Metals is a customer-focused trading business that aims to provide value added products to ferrous supply chain and serves customers across the globe. Metals has hubs in China, Singapore, United Kingdom and Vietnam to serve our customers, and has presence in India, Brazil, US and Dubai, providing physical and financial solutions. The two core pillars of our business are:
1) A proprietary trading pillar which aims to generate earnings by trading positions in both the physical and derivatives markets. Conviction is provided by leveraging market and industry insights, analytics, trading and risk management and digitalization.
2) A customer focused pillar which aims to drive a less volatile and more sustainable earnings stream. There is a lot of un-monetized value within the ferrous industry and by leveraging a tailored mix of services, solutions and products Cargill Metals has a strong track record that partnering with customers creates opportunities to unlock this value.
Cargill’s Metals has differentiated itself and is leading its iron ore trading competitors with its people, services and approach in the market. Equipped with deep industry knowledge in iron ore, strong technical support, operational experience, we have positioned ourselves as a leader in the transition of the steel industry toward greener steel. We are working with new start up steel mills like H2 Green Steel, partnering with Blastr Green Steel and existing steel mills who are looking to transition their business.
What is the Commercial Management Trainee Program about?
We aim to develop top diverse talent towards future expert and managerial roles for our procurement, sales and customer management function at Cargill. The program offers access to accelerate development on the job and through other channels during a 24 month program which may include depending on your area of expertise:
- Maintaining relationships with assigned customers assisting them. Negotiating with customers on products, terms and prices.
- Learning on market segments and trends to become a trusted advisor to both colleagues within and outside the business and to customers.
- Exploring new business opportunities and defining and developing procurement, sales and customer management strategies for selected accounts and identifying profitable solutions.
- Assessing the accurate execution of customer contracts.
- Representing Cargill and organizing customer visits, conferences and industry events.
- Learning on the job from experts, developing technical and soft skills and receiving coaching from your manager and peers.
- Participating in structured learning (digital and instructor led) to develop your technical, professional and leadership skills with peers across Europe, Middle East and Africa, learning from each other during the different sessions of the Cargill Next Generation Graduate program.
- Participate in functional rotation to develop your industry knowledge and expertise with short term opportunity to work in Shanghai or Singapore offices
- Building a peer network across Cargill.
What you will bring to Cargill (REQUIRED)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Financial studies, Law, Engineering, Geology, or any other relevant field.
- Entry level work experience (up to 2 years) and/or an internship in relevant areas is advantageous
- Fluency in English. Fluency in Mandarin, Portuguese or Spanish are considered an advantage.
- 1-2 years work experience
- Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently. Willingness to take responsibility and initiative. Demonstrated experience in prioritizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Fast learner and oriented to self-development: curiosity to learn and create new way of building and/or improving systems and processes.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to proactively identify and resolve problems.
- Flexibility; able to cope with fast changes within a growing company.
- Customer Focus: problem-solving skills, marketing skills, strong persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Proven natural leadership and interpersonal, communication and selling skills.
- Teamwork; ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-functional teams.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
We will provide a fast-paced stimulating international environment, which will challenge and stretch you. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest private companies in the world!
At Cargill, everyone matters and everyone counts. Cargill is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive and diverse work environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect. As such and in alignment with our Guiding Principles, Cargill's long-standing equal employment opportunity policy prohibits discrimination and harassment against any employee or applicant based on race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, family status, citizenship status, veteran status, military status, union affiliation, or any other status protected by law. Cargill is also aligned with all applicable national and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and employment.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.