Job ID 271399
Date posted 07/14/2023
Location : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Job Purpose and Impact
The Lawyer I, based in Malaysia ，will handle commercial legal affairs for various businesses and functions in Malaysia under the appropriate oversight of senior Lawyer in Singapore and work very closely with other members of the Cargill Law team both in APAC and globally. In this role, you will provide legal advice and recommend action to our Cargill leaders in Malaysia regarding moderately complex matters, including
- Food Solutions: sourcing, trading, refining, sales & marketing, export, technical services and R&D for various food ingredients, including edible oils & fats, starches, sweeteners & texturizers, and cocoa & chocolate.
- Agricultural Supply Chain: sourcing, storage & handling, supply chain logistics, sales and trading for various soft commodities.
- Animal Nutrition and Additives: sourcing, storage & handling, manufacturing, sales & marketing, technical services for animal feed and additives.
- Develop a close working partnership with the Cargill businesses in the geography with a deep understanding of the strategy, key customers, suppliers, metrics, industry environment and drivers of the business, as well as proactively anticipate and address issues and opportunities. This role requires regular and direct business contact with all levels of the organization.Research, analyze and interpret proposed and existing laws, statutes and regulations, including interpretation of laws and regulations and responding to government investigations, working with local outside counsel and implementing processes and control mechanisms to ensure compliance with regulations and company policies.
- Identify, evaluate and advise on issues of legal risk.
- Structure, draft, negotiate and approve legal agreements, written communications and other documents related to a variety of trade, commercial, financial and operational matters.
- Gather relevant facts and information from multiple sources using probing questions and methods and apply the results to research legal principles and precedents.
- Provide practical, solutions orientated advice to business and function leaders on how to manage risks while using a calibrated risk management approach. This role will require that you work in close cooperation with Cargill cross-functional teams (e.g. HR, Finance, Sustainability, Strategic Sourcing and Procurement, Food Safety and Regulatory, Tax, Government Relations) as well as other specialist resources in the Cargill Law team (e.g. M&A, IP Law)
- You will serve as an expert in your field and work with limited direction, using additional research and interpretation to identify issues/problems. You may provide direction to lower level team members and be a key contributor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Strong communication, advocacy and writing skills
- Deep curiosity and an aptitude to problem solve using a creative, resilient and agile approach
- Ability to build trusting and collaborative relationships and proactively address conflict
- Minimum of six years of post-qualification experience, primarily in the corporate commercial sphere
- Other minimum qualifications may apply
- Good combination of law firm and in-house experience will be advantageous, although candidates from leading law firms will be considered
- Experience with competition law, food law, international trade, will be advantageous
- Demonstrated understanding of commercial objectives, and business and industry environment
- Effective communicator and ability to work with different levels of the organization; demonstrated ability to influence business partners
- Strong personal drive, motivation and ownership over matters, combined with an ability to work within a larger team
- Understands the value of connectivity, relationship-building, and trust
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
Find Your Match