Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 160,000 employees who are committed to safe, responsible and sustainable ways to nourish the world. This position is in Cargill’s food ingredients and bio-industrial business, where we anticipate trends around taste, nutrition and safety to innovate and provide solutions to manufacturers, retailers and foodservice companies.
Job Purpose and Impact
The Senior Merchant will manage a supplier base, delivering tradeable commodities that meet production requirements and specifications in terms of timing, volume, quantity, and cost. In this role, you will source raw materials for Cargill’s US Bio-industrial manufacturing facilities. Bio-industrials is a growing, entrepreneurial business that uses nature-derived solutions, primarily vegetable oils, to outperform petroleum based industrial applications. In this role, you will be a key participant in strategically sourcing materials and working with the commercial and strategic pricing team to secure margins. In addition to using your market insight to strategically source materials for existing business, new products are in the pipeline, and this role will work to build the supplier network as the business grows.
- Work directly with customers, suppliers, and business counterparts to develop sourcing solutions to meet their needs
- Manage and expand the existing supplier network to facilitate manufacturing
- Provide transparency into current positions and replacement costs by raw material (i.e. soybean oil, canola, recovered corn oil, sunflower oil, tropical)
- Collaborate with transportation and logistics, quality assurance, and the lab to ensure efficient execution
- Research and analyze alternative suppliers and freight opportunities in the marketplace to maximize margin
- Independently handle complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating only the most complex issues to appropriate staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of four years of related work experience
- Flexibility and creativity to manage physical supply chain as demand or product mixes change
- Ability to embrace new business and develop raw material sourcing plans
- Experience working with multiple functions, manage time effectively and attention to details
- Experience working autonomously to build positions and make decisions that impact profit and loss
- Strong understanding of the crush industry
- Desire to build market views and make hedging decisions
- Comfortable making market presentations internally and with customers
- Contract management experience
- Cash movements, general trading and commodity experience
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.