Food Safety Quality Chemist - Eddyville, IA
Want to build a stronger, more sustainable future and cultivate your career? Join Cargill's global team of 155,000 employees who use new technologies, dynamic insights and over 154 years of experience to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
Connect to meaningful work. Feed the world. Achieve your higher purpose.
What if your ideas could nourish the world? As an associate, we transfer your knowledge and skills into profound experiences that positively impact our global community. From food to transportation, your innovative solutions, collaboration, and dedication will evolve industries to take on tomorrow's greatest challenges. And that's just the beginning. Because when your skills meet our unrivaled network and breadth of opportunity, your career is without bounds. Join our community to realize the impact of your work, help people around the world and connect with something greater.
Food Safety, Quality & Regulatory Associate - Protein/Food Manufacturing
The Food Safety Quality Chemist, will ensure products meet or exceed customer requirements for quality and food safety. In this role, you will apply basic understanding of plant processes to monitor quality assurance systems including instrumentation calibration, maintenance, crosschecks, methods, procedures, raw materials, food safety and training. You will provide technical advice and support to production operations to ensure product quality, minimize process variation, process recoveries, waste reduction and cost minimization and improve customer satisfaction.
- Assure product meets compliance specifications and overall final product approval checks.
- Data analysis, trend identification, troubleshooting, corrective action and communication with regard to processing data.
- Assess process quality parameters and food safety and quality systems daily, including cross checks, raw materials, calibration, maintenance, procedures, food safety, training, auditing and oversight of analytical testing performed in control rooms.
- Training of new food safety and quality chemists, analysts, operators, technicians and personnel from other functional areas.
- Handle basic issues and problems under direct supervision, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Our FSQR roles are located in an industrial/processing plant environment. The plant environment is team-based, fast-paced, and hands-on. This position requires a moderate amount of physical exertion on a fairly regular basis. The work may also involve other exertions, conditions or exposures (i.e. heat, cold, working in a wet environment).
- Depending on the location, this role may require individuals to work different shifts including 12 hours rotating shifts including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Our culture focuses on Safety, Employee Engagement, Inclusion, & Innovation.
Job Locations include: Eddyville, Iowa
No matter who you are or where you are, we’ve designed our plans and programs to meet your needs. We want to help you take care of what’s needed for today and offer protection to help with tomorrow’s what-ifs. You’ll have access to a wide variety of flexible and inclusive programs to meet your health, financial, and work/life needs to support you and help you thrive. Eligible programs and incentives include:
- Paid holidays and floating holidays
- Paid time off
- Comprehensive health care plans
- Short term and long-term incentives
- Mental Health and Wellbeing program
- Digital Learning Library
- Retirement plans
- Paid time to participate in volunteer and community outreach opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement programs
- Relocation benefits for those that qualify
Our Vibrant Community:
At Cargill, you will be a part of our vibrant global community with a culture that celebrates diversity. This is a reflection of the clients we serve and generates an intellectually diverse set of employees. Business Resource Groups (BRGs) help us embrace our diversity, make our culture more inclusive and enhance our employees’ outstanding talents and perspectives to benefit our organization and employees.
Our U.S. Business Resource Groups include: Asian Alliance Network, Cargill Young Professionals Network, Cargill Ability Network (iCAN), Cargill Ebony Council, Group Responsible for Orienting and Welcoming (GROW), Hispanic-Latino Council, Cargill Pride Network, Veterans & Military Support Network, and Cargill Women’s Network.
- Currently pursuing or have recently graduated with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a technical science program (i.e. Food Science, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biology or a related technical science degree)
- Graduating between December 2020 and December 2023
- Right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Willing and able to relocate to the plant location listed above.
- Ability to work optimally with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to lift between 25-50 pounds and work in an environment where you may have to stand or sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to contribute, both as part of a team and individually
- Strong communication skills
Able to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays
Overall 3.0 GPA preferred out of a 4.0 scale
Ability to anticipate, recognize, and seek process and laboratory problems, implement improvements based on the findings
Strong analytical skills and experience with good laboratory practices
Additional Position Information:
- This position includes a Sign-On Bonus
- This position is hiring candidates to start in Dec 2023 or Jan 2024
Cargill highly encourages vaccinations but does not mandate at this time. Upon hire, you will be asked to provide your vaccination status, and if unvaccinated or if you choose not to disclose, you would be expected to follow Cargill’s safety protocols for unvaccinated employees (i.e., mask mandates, and social distancing).
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Linkedin Job Matcher
Find where you fit in at Cargill. Log in to connect your LinkedIn profile and we’ll use your skills and experience to search the jobs that might be right for you.
The Cargill Cocoa Promise is committed to securing a thriving cocoa sector for generations.
Our inclusive culture helps us shape the future of the world.
Discover how you can achieve your higher purpose with a career at Cargill.